Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Seeing rainbows, black lines and a giraffe. Afraid to be alone.

(4 Posts)
WeeMadKillerKelpie Sat 11-Nov-17 00:39:39

My 7 year old ds is currently being assessed for ASD. The school and I are expecting a diagnosis of autism.

The last two months he has refused to be on his own in any room in the house. I talked to him tonight and he said one night he heard scary breathing in his room and it hurt him in his heart so he is scared of being alone now.

He also told me he has an eye infection that means he sees rainbows and swirling colours often. He said he could see them when he was talking to me then. He said he sometimes sees a black line which he doesn't like.

At bed time, he says sometimes he sees a giraffe and it touches him sometimes, then he knows he will have bad dreams.

Does anyone recognise this and have any advice?

springhappy Mon 13-Nov-17 23:49:34

Aww your poor ds.

My ds is 14 now, he has asd.
When he was younger he was also afraid to be alone in a room at any time. He still won’t sleep alone but he will be alone at other times now.
I think I can relate to what your little one is saying, well everything other than the giraffe.

The breathing may of been his awareness of his own bodily sounds, but maybe creating fear. When your frightened everything does seem louder. ‘Hurt in his heart’ this would be a way my ds would say he was frightened.

The black lines- maybe eye floaters. I have them all the time. I think people on the spectrum notice everything that others possibly wouldn’t. Same with the coloured squiggly lines, I think it sounds just like over analysing the senses.

I think children often become overwhelmed by things, and I think many asd children live in a constant state of being overwhelmed.

I’m not sure if I’ve been helpful at all - I know it’s awful trying to lessen you child’s anxiety.

NewMinouMinou Thu 23-Nov-17 14:52:46

THE rainbow may be a migraine aura. You can have them without the usual accompanying pain.

Frazzledbutcalm Fri 24-Nov-17 08:12:05

It could be a form of sensory processing/visual stress. My 3 dc have this and are affected in different ways. They see this man and wear coloured lens glasses.

Fascinating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now