Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

lower rate care and disability element of child tax credits?

(8 Posts)
elliejjtiny Mon 06-Nov-17 12:28:18

I thought I understood it all. Middle rate and high rate care you get things like carers allowance, disability element of child tax credit etc. Lower rate care you get your dla and that's it.

Ds1 gets lower rate care, has done since 2015. this morning we got a letter from hmrc saying he should be getting the disability element of child tax credits for him and they are putting the money in our account, backdated to April this year. I phone hmrc to check at they say yes that's correct.

I can't find anything online to say either way, just a load of stuff about how the disability part of tax credits is the most complicated and even the advisors get it wrong, which doesn't really fill me with confidence. I'm worried they are going to pay us all this money and then say there has been a mistake and we have to pay it all back.

Mykiddies20132010 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:01:05

I’m with you on this, I find it all so confusing. I didn’t realise tax credits have a lower element for dla. That’s interesting to no. How much is it out of interest if you don’t mind saying? My dds claim is being assessed atm so am waiting to hear. I’m glad you found out though! smile

elliejjtiny Mon 06-Nov-17 13:07:05

I've no idea how much it is sorry. I can't find out anywhere online either which is making me think even more that we are not entitled to it anyway.

Mykiddies20132010 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:17:13

It is very strange well I hope you can find someone who does no. Good luck

sunshine99789 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:59:52

If you are in receipt of DLA, you should inform tax credits as you would automatically be entitled to the disability element on your child tax credits. Dont worry, this is standard,you wont have to pay anything back. x

Frusso Mon 06-Nov-17 18:18:03

Tax credits have a basic disability element and severe disability element. Basic is for dla any level, severe is for middle and up.
It is also protected, meaning if for whatever reason they over pay your other tax credits elements, they can’t claim the overpayment back from the disability element. This additional element is disregarded for housing benefits, (same as dla is) It also means you get higher than basic rate tax credits, which may allow discounted services elsewhere (water companies).

They don’t tell you these things. And they don’t make it easy for you to find out either.

Frusso Mon 06-Nov-17 18:24:31

For a child the
Disability element is 3175.5
Severe disability element is 1292.10 on top of the disability element.

elliejjtiny Tue 07-Nov-17 11:30:53

Thankyou. You would think I'd know everything by now but I'm always finding out new things like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now