Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School: How to request DD's records and withdraw consent to discuss her

(5 Posts)
BonnesVacances Wed 01-Nov-17 18:26:55

This isn't directly related to SEN but I thought if anyone knows the answer to this question, it's the people on this board!

DD has a chronic illness and we've been having a few issues with school whereby they have been speaking to her consultant and psychologist without our consent. It turns out that this was 'allowed' because the school had welfare issues.

We had a meeting with the school today whereby they confirmed the welfare issues were unsupported and that they no longer had any concerns over DD or our care of her.

We now want to get a copy of her school records so we can see what was said to raise these concerns in the first place, who they've spoken to and what is recorded as them having said. (Should add that we've spoken to the people who were said to have raised concerns and they have denied saying anything, saying they were paraphrased).

We also want to make it clear that we do not consent to these conversations taking place in the future without us being present. As there are no longer welfare concerns, there should be no reason for them to do this.

Could anyone help me with some wording please or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

zzzzz Wed 01-Nov-17 20:16:03

The consultant should have refused to give any information that wasn’t required for safeguarding.

Ceto Wed 01-Nov-17 20:32:40

If the school is a maintained school, you can request copy education records under the Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations 2005 and must receive them within 15 school days. If it's an academy, free school or independent school you can request them under the Data Protection Act and must get them within 40 days. Either way, you'll have to pay a small fee.

Frusso Wed 01-Nov-17 20:54:47

With permissions You need to write to all —and it does have to be everyone— involved with your dd and state something like

I retract all previously given permissions for information sharing about dd.
Namely I do not consent to any information sharing [with xxx or xxx —if you want to be really specific, you can also name particular names—]

But this should reset the permissions so you will have to re-give the necessary ones to the necessary people again.
Personally I would retract all permissions rather than go down the “only if I’m present” route.

But do be aware that the school won’t like it. So I would information request first and then send the retracting consent letter to them. (Recorded delivery will mean you have proof of them receiving it.)
You don’t have to wait before sending it to the others though.

I have previously removed certain “support” services (that really weren’t helping matters and kept digging for info they weren’t entitled to and sharing misinformation) by sending them and all other professionals a similar worded letter. (I also named names).
I later had to re give permission to the paeds secretary so they could request information from School (school wasn’t my problem as it is yours, but it does show that my letter did work).

BonnesVacances Thu 02-Nov-17 07:37:28

Great! Thank you.
It's an academy, so I'll request the records as per the DPA. And will wait until I've done that before I retract all permissions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: