Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Reducing Anxiety

(3 Posts)
BGD2012 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:53:09

I have a 10 year old boy with high functioning autism, he is a delightful and gentle boy, however I can't stop worrying about his future and it makes me really anxious. He is obsessed with certain subjects and his friendship groups are eroding as he finds it difficult to talk about their interests. He has problems with coordination so team sports and games are other areas where he has problems joining in. He has enjoyed cubs for years but now he has moved to scouts the leader has told me he doesn't always engage in activities. He is a very happy boy but I'm so worried my anxiety is going to rub off on him. Can someone please give me some helpful advice? Sorry to sound so miserable.

mrsbutterscoth Fri 03-Nov-17 22:26:20

Hi there, my DS, also 10 has ASD and is high functioning too. I’m sorry but I don’t have any advice to offer but just wanted you to know that I know exactly how you feel. My poor DS is regularly upset because he hasn’t really got any friends. He likes to hang out with the “cool” kids who gang up on him. I’m trying to encourage friendships with one or two of the quieter children at school that he knows and used to play with and steer him away from the larger friendship groups. It’s early days but I can’t think what else to do. It breaks my heart every day. Sending you flowers

BGD2012 Tue 07-Nov-17 10:43:52

Thank you its helpful to hear that there are others going through similar issues. I would really like it if he had more social invites but I guess I'll just have to plug away. My son is friendly with another child that is on the spectrum but it is a very controlling relationship and the school are discouraging it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now