Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Would my son be entitled to use a disabled toilet?

(12 Posts)
NoCryLilSoftSoft Sat 28-Oct-17 15:14:26

He is 8 and has fecal incontinence. This has been all his life and he is seeing a paediatrician to try and get to the source/get it sorted. Not sure if relevant but DS also has SEN. He wears pull ups and he struggles to clean himself properly when he Is changing himself (I’m working on this btw) so he always requires me to help him. In some public toilets we can manage as the cubicles are quite generous in size but as he gets bigger I’m finding it harder and harder to do. I haven’t felt comfortable using disabled toilets as he doesn’t have a blue badge but if there was a pass he could get it would make life a lot easier when out. Is this possible and how would I go about getting this?

StarlightMcKenzee Sat 28-Oct-17 15:31:53

If he needs the disabled toilet for his disability rather than convenience, you are entitled to use it. You don't need a blue badge.

You can apply to the council for a RADAR key and submit pretty much any paperwork that demonstrates his need.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sat 28-Oct-17 15:37:00

Thank you starlight. Would needing the extra space for me to clean him count as convenience or part of his disability?

StarlightMcKenzee Sat 28-Oct-17 16:35:10

Disability. It really is. Especially if children his age, usually don't need that level of help.

Honestly, you're absolutely justified and shouldn't give it another moment of thought.

I'm a toilet policewoman and you can find me chastising people everywhere for their 'obvious' use of disabled toilets without a disability.....

Only if I'm sure of course, -many disabilities are hidden. Things that make me sure are things like announcements i.e. when someone says 'Well, I'm not standing in this queue when the disabled loo is empty!' That kind of thing.

So if you've won me over, you're good to go...... lol!

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sat 28-Oct-17 16:46:51

Thank you, you’ve been really helpful.

Twinkletowedelephant Sat 28-Oct-17 16:53:51

Amazon 99p...

Polter Sat 28-Oct-17 17:37:48

Agree with Star, but to add, please don't but a cheap Radar key off Amazon or eBay, they have been known to break or get stuck in locks and this means other people in need can't use the toilets. Please buy an official key from radarkeys,org, your local council or Disability Rights UK.

zzzzz Sat 28-Oct-17 21:18:13

You’re absolutely WHO disabled toilets are for. Ds is 12 now and to be honest we really aren’t welcome in the Ladies any more. Better to make the move now so it’s not a big deal later.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sat 28-Oct-17 22:11:02

Oh god I hadn’t even thought of him getting older and being unwelcome in the ladies! So far people haven’t really (to my knowledge) mindedness but of course that will come as he grows. Especially as he doesn’t “appear” disabled. Thank you Zzzz And thanks polter for the pointer.

zzzzz Sun 29-Oct-17 11:47:07

Keeping an eye on the future is a great plan. For example ds last school insisted on tucked in shirts. He now obsesses and frets about it being tucked “right”. Fine at 10/12 but it does look like he’s constantly touching himself. It won’t be fine at 16/18.sad. SO difficult.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 29-Oct-17 12:20:07

sad I think I’ve been so caught up in managing day by day I hadn’t even thought of him in 8 years time. What is currently tolerated because he is a little boy won’t be in a few short years. Thank zzzz you’ve been really helpful.

Olympiathequeen Wed 01-Nov-17 19:09:36

DS1 (9) is a wheelchair user and I wouldn’t mind in the slightest waiting for your son to use a disabled toilet. He clearly has a disability and is not using it for convenience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now