Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Experiences of SENCO assessment at preschool

(4 Posts)
Moulesvinrouge1 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:22:54

Hi all

New to this section so very appreciative of all advice / thoughts. Child has recently been flagged as going to be assessed by SENCO via preschool due to some challenging behaviours and potential sensory issues. Does anyone have any experience of this? What was the outcome? I have no idea what to expect, how bad the behaviours / flags must be to have raised this and what might happen to our family. Thanks in advance for any comments.

outputgap Thu 26-Oct-17 03:46:04

The SENCo is just there to help your child, and although they can be of varying quality, the idea is that they work with you and provide advice to you and the setting to support your child.

They are usually just a member of staff who has this role, ie not particularly qualified in anything, and not in a role of diagnosing your child.

My experience in a nursery setting was very hands off from the SENCo at nursery. However there was also a local authority SENCo who came to meetings with nursery staff and observed my child. She seemed very useful at the time: very focused on helpful interventions, good at planning ahead for school transition.

The nursery staff or SENCo might at some point want to refer your child on to a diagnostic service in the NHS, in our case, for autism.

But the real point of SENCos is to ensure that the nursery are providing the right sort of environment for your child to thrive.

And you don't have to have them involved if you don't want to. I would, because the more differentiated the service for my child, the better, in my view. But your call.

Polter Thu 26-Oct-17 08:23:36

Is this the nursery/schools own Senco or is it the LAs early years Senco coming in?

If it's the latter, we had an excellent experience when nursery called in help from the LA early years advisor/Senco. She was spot on in her observations and made excellent suggestions.

Moulesvinrouge1 Thu 26-Oct-17 14:09:55

Thanks all. It's the SENco attached to the adjoining school. It's come out of the blue really, I know there has been disruption but I think I'm panicking about what it could mean for my child for the long term. Does something like this almost always result in a diagnosis eventually?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now