Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD with autism and SS has 2 yr waiting list

(7 Posts)
NeverTrustASmilingCat Mon 23-Oct-17 14:55:13

My DTD2 has just been diagnosed with autism, has significant communication delays, including no speech yet. She should start in reception next September, but the special school near us told me they have a 2 year waiting list. I know that she should be able to stay another year at nursery (she'll be 4 in June) but only for 15 hours a week, and she will only get funding for her 1-1 for these 15 hours while she remains at nursery.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and what did you do?

zzzzz Mon 23-Oct-17 15:14:02

Are there no other special schools? Units?

It really isn’t your problem if they don’t have room. If she needs SS they should provide it.

That said ds has ASD and Language Disorder (severe) so perhaps similar levels of communication difficulties to your Dd?? I think ms reception was very accessible to him. We kept him down a year, did an extra year in nursery and then he was in ms school till around 7.

zzzzz Mon 23-Oct-17 15:16:47

Nb ds didn’t call me Mummy till 4 and only used “no” for yes and no, and is talking quite well at 12. Children with ASD and Language difficulties can find their voices. Hang in there, she will grow up.

NeverTrustASmilingCat Mon 23-Oct-17 17:04:03

Thank you for replying.

There are others; I've probably just got blinkered looking at this one. I just feel I have no idea what the right decision is, or if there are other options that we're not aware of. 😩

StarlightMcKenzee Tue 24-Oct-17 12:44:23

There is no such thing as a 2 year waiting list for a special school, especially if it is a LA maintained one.

But what is certain is that your child won't get a space in that school without an EHCP. If you haven't got one already, you need to apply now for an assessment for one.

NeverTrustASmilingCat Tue 24-Oct-17 15:20:53

That’s what they said, seems crazy to me hmm

As for the EHCP, we are filling in the request now with help from her nursery.

StarlightMcKenzee Tue 24-Oct-17 16:25:13

Brilliant. Find out the cost of that school, ask for something more expensive when the time comes, - with transport on that basis that that school has told you they are full and as it is the nearest suitable one and your child can't go there, you need the other.

The LA will allocate you that school then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now