Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Issues at Nursery

(2 Posts)
thefutureisours Wed 18-Oct-17 20:34:28

My son (2) is under investigation for suspected autism. He's pretty much non verbal and struggles with communication. He's started biting and grabbing staff and other children at nursery (and is at home). We can't work out any triggers but he is teething with his last molar at the minute, which I think is part of the reason for the biting. They do keep an extra close eye on him now and manage to intervene before he bites or grabs but they don't manage all the time.

They keep telling him no thank you but the word no sets him off into a tantrum and makes him worse. We try and use don't instead of no at home and I have asked them if they can do this too.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this behaviour? 'Helpful' friends tell me to bite him back, which is quite frankly horrific. We just say don't bite and walk away if we can or try and encourage gentle touching if he grabs at us but it's not working at all. I feel so bad that my son is clearly struggling. Am going to ask for a meeting with the nursery but wondered if anyone on here had any helpful techniques or ideas.

Polter Wed 18-Oct-17 20:56:11

Biting is a very common phase for many toddlers, autistic or not. It might be worth trying him with a sensory chewy (Chewigem are good), but mostly supervision, distraction and ignore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now