Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Parental consent

(8 Posts)
ari11 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:49:47

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows whether a school can request a report from a private after school club about a child's behaviour without the parents consent?
Any thoughts much appreciated!

LiefievdM Tue 17-Oct-17 20:29:48

Unless you have signed something, then no. Even the NHS have to ask for parental consent to share between departments, for example GP, peadiatrics and SALT.

It would definitely be against the Data Protection Act.

LiefievdM Tue 17-Oct-17 20:31:24

The Information Commissioner have quite a good telephone helpline. Worth googling and giving them a call. They will tell you exactly which laws this falls foul of and how to make an official complaint to the Information Commissioner.

ari11 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:36:38

Thanks so much, I didn't sign anything and only found out when I went to collect my children. Long history but its regarding ds who has special needs. I will definitely give the Information Commissioner a call in the morning. I have a meeting with school tomorrow which should be interesting if they are in breach of Data Protection Act! Thanks again

Whinberry Tue 17-Oct-17 22:23:36

Not sure if the school are in breach; if the after school club provided a report then they would be.

ari11 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:48:07

Thanks, I just realised that after I posted. Just preparing for a multi agency meeting at school with 10 professionals attending, I think I need some sleepsmile

LiefievdM Wed 18-Oct-17 01:23:09

flowers good luck OP

Shedmicehugh Wed 18-Oct-17 08:37:13

Details about your child is classed as sensitive personal data. There are also rules about how info can be obtained. Requesting sensitive personal data without consent is a breach too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: