Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

recomendations on alternative therpies, clinics, doctors etc for ASD

(10 Posts)
Ityoj Fri 13-Oct-17 10:14:23

Dear Mums, this is my first time on mumsnet. my 3.5 yold son is currently getting checked for ASD, but the wait it crazy, the fact is we know he has ASD, our OT and SLT have both said he has traits constant with ASD and the SLT has now refereed us.

Im all for alternative therapies and was hoping anyone out there can advice on any clinics, biomed doctors etc to help. We are in the London area and are willing to travel and pay whatever the costs.

we had already done light and sound therapy and that was amazing,

I have researched about the effects of toxin build up and a bad gut can contribute to the symptoms, looking for some clinics that can help with this.

Thanks ladies

CaptainKirkssparetupee Fri 13-Oct-17 10:18:56

Honestly save your time and your money and stay away from boimed stuff.
The whole "toxic build up" isn't true and the therapies can harm your child.

Fairylea Fri 13-Oct-17 13:14:35

Autism is a neurological disability - you can’t change or cure it by alternative approaches. You’d be best to spend money on things like speech therapy, occupational therapy and sensory therapy that will help long term. I wouldn’t investigate things about toxins etc.

blanklook Fri 13-Oct-17 15:03:57

Autism is not an illness, please stop thinking about it like that. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at it, you cannot cure what never existed.

Read as much as you can from sensible sources like the NAS, educate yourself to be the best advocate for your child's needs. Investigate any of the co-morbids he may have, you've already said light and sound therapy is beneficial, set up a sensory tent at home, make it a lovely safe space with everything that takes care of his sensory needs.

Don't ever treat your son as though he needs to be "fixed" that's a dreadful attitude. Love and respect him for who he is and help him to be the best he can be.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Fri 13-Oct-17 15:13:18

And stay well away from Jonathan Toomey and his wives treatments and cures, there is reason they own so many businesses and TV shows, it's because they sell to desperate people and get a lot of money by doing it.

Imaginosity Fri 13-Oct-17 19:38:37

Sorry but I feel sad for your son if this is how you view his autism. Having said that, when my son was first diagnosed I wished I could 'remove' the autism from him. I was scared by things I read on the internet about autism and thought he was doomed to a miserable life.

Now I understand that autism is a huge part of him and he wouldn't be who he is without it. He is very imaginative and creative and thinks differently to other children - and I love it now! I like that he's unique and 'himself'. He's very kind and funny and loves life. Its not all plain sailing as he has problems controlling his emotions and finds it harder to make friends but if they invented a pill that could somehow remove autism I would not want him to take it!

Please try to accept him for who he is. He will always have ASD and will always be different - but that's not a bad thing! Don't bring him to quacks who will put him through strange treatments - just bring him somewhere he enjoys like the park or McDonalds or whatever!

Life will be easier for him and you if you embrace him the way he is and work with it rather than trying to 'cure' it. That's not to say you shouldn't try your best to help him with the things he finds difficult though. Fight to get help from schools etc but don't waste time on alternative (madey-uppy!) treatments.

I find this video uplifting -
www.ted.com/talks/rosie_king_how_autism_freed_me_to_be_myself/up-next#t-6368

Sorry if I sound a bit mean but your son needs you to accept him how he is.

abc12345 Sun 15-Oct-17 07:18:40

I would give retained reflex therapy a go (there’s lots about it on here)

If he has trouble reading I’d suggest a visual ability test (which is more than a sight test, it looked at tracking etc)

A autism/sensory trained ot can work wonders pin pointing problems and working with them (and explaining things to you!)

cansu Mon 16-Oct-17 07:27:49

Save your money and invest in a good aba programme. I tried a few things and this is really the only thing I did for dd that had obvious benefits for her.

StarlightMcKenzee Mon 16-Oct-17 08:11:23

ABA was the most effective thing for us. But it isn't exactly an alternative therapy, it is more an educational programme and doesn't cure or remove autism, but helps give the child the skills to participate enough in the things that will help them reach their own aspirations and goals and self-advocate.

It gives them the skills to navigate life and make choices, and keep safe.

Ityoj Thu 19-Oct-17 13:15:29

Thanks ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now