Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What type of questions should I be asking SENCOs and HTs when visiting schools

(3 Posts)
Royaldada Thu 12-Oct-17 18:54:52

I’m currently in the middle of arranging to visit schools for my nearly 4yr old DS who has GDD (non verbal, coordination and cognition problems) with some autistic traits and just wondering really what type of questions I should be asking with regards SEN provision when visiting these schools.

I am planning on visiting 3 mainstream schools, 1 special school and 1 mainstream which has a complex sen resource attached to it

Any ideas would be welcomed

Whatamesshaslunch Thu 12-Oct-17 20:36:38

I'd like to know too. I'm starting to panic, having heard that our two local schools are appalling with SEN.

livpotter Fri 13-Oct-17 18:06:21

My ds is starting next year too. I wasn't really sure what to ask at the first school I went to but they seem to have pre-empted most things. I did ask about quiet spaces, use of pecs and what they do if a child doesn't have an EHCP before starting. Things I found interesting that she bought up was the way they expect their 1-1s to work, that they have quiet clubs (lego etc) during break times for kids who find the playground too overwhelming and how often the SLT comes in.

I do still feel like I have no idea what i'm doing though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: