Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to help daughter adjust to weekend life.

(3 Posts)
nancyclancy123 Mon 09-Oct-17 11:04:44

My 6 year old ASD dd really struggles at the weekends when everyone is at home (family of 6). Week days are generally ok as she has the school routine which helps.
Can anyone give me any tips and suggestions on how to help her please.

BarbarianMum Tue 10-Oct-17 21:42:59

At the risk of sounding silly, maybe try having some structure to the weekend as well. My friend (autistic son) has a timetable - meal times, football practice, going to the market, going out (park/walk/swimming), screen time/free time. He likes to know what's going on.

MrsAD Tue 10-Oct-17 22:05:07

We have the same thing I think, ds is much better behaved and more relaxed during the week but the freedom of the weekend seems to make it harder and less enjoyable for him and for all of us as a result. Structure and the visual timetable sound like good ideas, I will try that too. We also do a token board where he has to earn tokens over the weekend with a little prize on a Sunday for getting them all which seems to help a bit. Things like tidying up toys, washing his hair etc. Just means I'm not constantly nagging all weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now