Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Possible SPD?

(3 Posts)
AimeeAlex Thu 05-Oct-17 12:19:10

Hi I am looking for some advice / opinions on SPD. I have thought, since my 7yo was a toddler, that something just ‘wasn’t right’
More specifically he has issues with clothing ‘feels funny’ but cant expand on why, things like toothpaste ‘taste spicy’ is very fearful of doing activities (like football) ‘what happens if?’ and is so very easily confused if there is a lot of instruction, he likes to have ‘a job’
He is SEN in school but as he simply withdraws when he doesn’t understand (in his mind you only raise your hand if you know the answer and not to seek help) and doesn’t display any ‘behaviour’ in school the SENCO will offer no help. It has been suggested to me he may have SPN but I’m so fearful of approaching a GP incase they think I’m just looking for something wrong with him. confused

Polter Thu 05-Oct-17 12:39:04

If it's making his life harder then it's definitely worth exploring assessment. An OT referral would be a good place to start.

There's also lots you can do, books like 'The Out of Sync Child' and 'Too Fast Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight' would be a good start.

AimeeAlex Thu 05-Oct-17 14:26:10

It’s certainly making things harder for both of us, yesterday clothing was such an issue we had to strip off and start again. Thx for the suggested reading too, I will definately take a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now