Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I can't find one

(9 Posts)
ShowerGel9 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:01:50

DS is 2 nearly 3. Global developmental delay. Hyper mobile. Can't walk

I just want to meet other parents with children with additional needs. I need to feel like I'm not the only one.

I have been on my local authority website and can't find a group for my DS. It's like he stands out in a main stream toddler group but would not fit into a SN group.

I took him to his class at baby ballet today. There is at part where each child has to walk to the front of the class bytheirself and take bells of at teacher.

I'm so paranoid and self conscious walking my DS up. everyone looks at him and feels sad/proud of us but I'm crying inside.

I had tears today when we sat back down and I had to look at a funny picture of my friend on my phone to get my composure back.

I need to meet people in the same position as us.

I don't know anyone and I can't find a way to meet people

Polter Wed 04-Oct-17 12:04:08

Facebook can be good for local disability stuff.

ShowerGel9 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:06:55

I need to talk to other people about how they control their emotions when things are getting on top of them

Polter Wed 04-Oct-17 12:08:46

Try FB groups like SPOKAN.

Polter Wed 04-Oct-17 12:10:40

Here. I think they have local groups too.

ShowerGel9 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:22:40

Thanks

Imaginosity Wed 04-Oct-17 14:35:59

It does get easier with time, as they say. I used to feel so emotionally 'weak' and close to tears and self- conscious when DS was diagnosed. Somehow I've become used to it and tougher and don't care so much what people think. I feel more positive about DS's future even though it might not be the standard future you hope your child will have when its born. I'm a different person because of it - I've had more stressful times but also learned to be more tolerant and understanding. I'm actually a better person because of it. It makes the world of difference to find someone in the same boat that relates to you and gets it - someone you can phone when you have a bad day. Support groups are a possible way to find people like this. Good luck

Allthewaves Sun 08-Oct-17 22:20:19

Have you tried sen group. The needs are huge range so you may be suprised

LongDivision Sun 08-Oct-17 23:15:20

2/3 was definitely the hardest point for us, I guess because DS still was in the baby stage whilst the others had matured and could comment and ask questions, and wanted to run around and explore.
It became easier for me after DS got 1:1 support at nursery. I think it helps when there are others who are on your child's side, and it frees you to sit back and watch a little bit. It's not easy, but as others have said, it gets better, you grow a thicker skin, and you learn to celebrate small moments of triumph, even if they come later than for most children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now