Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EHCP Assessment Request - what to ask school for

(4 Posts)
rosalux Mon 02-Oct-17 13:33:59

DS1 (6yrs) and suspected ASD is in Y2 at an MS school. He has 1:1 support from a lovely (and unusually ASD trained/experienced) TA which the school is paying for somehow, but I don't think it's sustainable and want to apply for an EHCP. Ideally school would do this, but the SENCO believes the LA hype that he would only qualify if he needed a place at an SS, and so I'm going to do it. I have reports from OT, Ed Psych, play therapist and shortly paed (diagnosis meeting is on 19th October). He has had a number of exclusions (internal and external) and various accommodations becasue of his needs and I'm not sure what I should be asking school for by way of supporting documentation. Does anyone have any thoughts? What am I legally entitled to and can ask for without getting their backs up (as they are really being very good)?

Blossom4538 Mon 02-Oct-17 20:59:07

Following.

We are in a similar situation, but DD does not yet have any allocated 1-1. She is also in Year 2.

Ceto Mon 02-Oct-17 21:26:26

You can ask for all the education records they hold, and if it is a maintained school they must give them to you within 15 school days although they can charge limited amounts for photocopying. If it is an academy, free school or independent school you need to make a request under the Data Protection Act and it can take up to 40 days.

But you could leave it in abeyance, because the LA will contact the school in any event for their input.

Budur Sat 07-Oct-17 09:49:43

Look at the EHCP form what supporting info is needed. I asked and got: all school reports (unless you have kept them), all SEN meeting minutes with parents or their internal ones and all minutes of internal interventions (sessions of SEN with the child) for which I can't thank them enough as they had to copy everything and then cross out the names of other children that were also having support lessons. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now