Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Concerned about DS ? ASD

(24 Posts)
ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 22-Sep-17 11:07:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 22-Sep-17 11:08:44

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 22-Sep-17 13:11:42

Ginmummy1 Fri 22-Sep-17 13:19:44

I'm just a lurker and don't have any relevant experience - but just to say that the people that respond on this forum are a knowledgeable and supportive bunch but they can take a while to respond, often because they are juggling the needs of their own SN children. Give it a day or so and I'm sure you'll get some helpful responses.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 22-Sep-17 13:36:11

Ginmummy1 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:00:12

Don't be embarrassed at all. I'll feel the silly one if nobody replies smile - I'm confident they will!

Marshmallow09er Fri 22-Sep-17 14:24:17

Hi Shoe

I think if you are concerned about his development you are doing the right thing in going to your HV / GP. You should ask for a referral to a development paediatrician.

They may well say 20 months is still young, however waiting lists tend to be long so putting yourself on one early is never a bad thing.
If he then makes great leaps in his communication / development while you are waiting then you can always take yourself off.
As parents on here we usually say on here to trust your gut instinct.

Polter Fri 22-Sep-17 20:11:35

Has he had a hearing test? That's a good place to start.

Most areas also have speech and language drop in clinics so do google or ask your HV.

There is a toddler autism screening tool called the M-CHAT which you can find online and fill in which can help with requesting referral.

But I'd get hearing tested first.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 22-Sep-17 22:23:09

hilbil21 Fri 22-Sep-17 23:03:38

I first had concerns about my son at 20 months. He is now 30 months and we have been referred to nhs speech and language, had his hearing tested, and are now under a paediatrician. She agrees he has autism traits but has advised they wouldnt assess till at least 3 x

hilbil21 Fri 22-Sep-17 23:03:40

I first had concerns about my son at 20 months. He is now 30 months and we have been referred to nhs speech and language, had his hearing tested, and are now under a paediatrician. She agrees he has autism traits but has advised they wouldnt assess till at least 3 x

StarlightMcKenzee Sun 24-Sep-17 12:50:12

Have his hearing tested, but also ask for a referral to a developmental paediatrician. List your concerns and put them in writing and give it to the GP. This will create an evidence trail that will get you taken more seriously. Give real life examples of your concerns.

In the UK there are financial incentives to delay diagnosis - sorry. If the NHS can wait until the child is over 5, then treatment/therapy comes out of the schools budget and not health. In other countries average age of diagnosis is closer to 14months so the tools are available to assess at that age. My son was diagnosed at 2 years 3 months.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Thu 05-Oct-17 21:45:12

thefutureisours Fri 06-Oct-17 11:47:50

I first had concerns about my son around 16 months. He's not long had his 27 month review and he's going to see the Paed to be assessed but I am positive he is autistic. Health visitor and SALT are in agreement. I got him referred to SALT at about 20 months and he's had a couple of appointments now, recommend you talk to your health visitor and try and get a referral to that and make them aware you have concerns. I wish I'd pushed it a bit more earlier but at least we are on the road now. My ds is similar to yours but doesn't bother with problem solving toys. He's very tv obsessed but we try to limit it and he loves nesting stacking cups. Can build but prefers to destroy. If there is anything sitting on a table he can reach he clears it.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 06-Oct-17 12:07:16

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Fri 06-Oct-17 12:08:00

thefutureisours Fri 06-Oct-17 12:28:51

We have been given a lot of exercises to improve eye contact etc. A lot of it is very simple like getting down to his eye level, using one word only to describe things, waiting for him to give eye contact before giving him food etc.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Fri 06-Oct-17 12:36:09

waiting for him to give eye contact before giving him food etc
That's actually horrible, how about we make you do something akward and painful for food etc.

thefutureisours Fri 06-Oct-17 16:46:57

There is always one ready to denounce you as a terrible parent on here isn't there? Maybe I didn't phrase too well what we did but calling it cruel is ridiculous. I am trying to help my child with methods advised by an expert ffs. hmm It was a gradual process to encourage the eye contact first and he was not ever refused food or upset during the process.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Fri 06-Oct-17 16:50:38

I didn't say you were a horrible parent, but that is horrible. "Experts" are very wide ranging, you'd be surprised at what some "autism experts" advise, especially ones from the US.

thefutureisours Fri 06-Oct-17 17:25:08

I'm sorry but I cannot see how it is horrible to gently encourage communication. confused I know there are some horrific techniques that have been used in the States but this is hardly a comparison. If I thought my child was distressed, uncomfortable or upset during it I can assure you it would not be used.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Fri 06-Oct-17 17:37:30

Forcing eye contact isn't gently encouraging communication.

Polter Fri 06-Oct-17 17:43:41

Children want to please their parents. Eye contact is uncomfortable and indeed painful for many of us and is part of a set of expectations formed around neurotypical needs and standards. It is perfectly possible to be a good communicator without eye contact, many of us communicate much better when we can be ourselves.

Training autistic kids to do eye contact is quite outdated.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Sat 07-Oct-17 21:25:11

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: