What help can schools offer to transition to secondary?

(5 Posts)
Sillysausage123 Mon 18-Sep-17 19:11:46

Hi just looking at the help that schools can give a child at transitioning to secondary other than extra transition days?
Son is being assessed for autism and dyslexia and I'm wondering what help other schools give so I can ask if his secondary will do it.
His main problems will obviously be the change and making new friends but he is really badly organised and gets lost easily.
How can school help him learn to organise better and get around school as I know he will lose a map?

OP’s posts: |
Butterfly1975 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:38:11

Glad you posted as my dd moving from primary to secondary next year! She has CP but will also need help with anxiety and confidence.

Hoping to have a meeting with SENCO this term to find out about support. Key things will be having extra time to get from one lesson to another and also if they have a buddy system in place.

tartanterror Wed 20-Sep-17 22:45:37

With an EHCP you can choose/name a school based on provision, rather than proximity to your house.

If your DS is on SEN Support your options are limited on school selection. If it were me I would be looking for a school with some ideas of their own. If you have to request things it usually means they don't know how to handle things, so you may have to battle away for support all the way through.

Aside from this there are a few good transition guides for asd kids available online from different LAs. Might be worth having a search around for ideas.

I don't know what primary has been like for your DS and you may have had a good primary/SENCO. We didn't. When DS gets to this stage I will be looking hard at what support the school can offer without much prompting - specific ideas rather than vague "if it is in the plan we will provide it" guff! It would be nice to have a rest from having to chase! Good luck

GirlsparklesAbel Fri 18-May-18 15:33:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

OompaLump Fri 18-May-18 16:24:25

Thank you very much I will check your daughters book out

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in