Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What will speech therapist do?

(13 Posts)
Whatamesshaslunch Thu 07-Sep-17 07:57:17

My 3 year old dd has delayed speech, with 2 approximations of words and lots of makaton.
I'm wondering what a speech therapist will do? In the past we have been given the usual advice, like to commentate on her play (which we do) and build vocabulary by saying things like "you have the bear; the red bear; the red bear is jumping". However, her understanding is excellent - nearly age appropriate - and she has a good vocabulary so I'm not sure how helpful that is to promoting speech.
Any advice? I just wonder what we can do at home before paying for a private SALT (NHS hard to come by round here).

Whatamesshaslunch Thu 07-Sep-17 13:03:13

Just to add more info, she has asd and a genetic condition.

coffeemachine Thu 07-Sep-17 14:57:25

it depends what the issue E.g., if the lack of expressive language us down to verbal dyspraxia, a very different approach would be taken to a child with ASD that understands but has issues communicating/doesn't understand the point of communication but has no physical issues preventing them from forming speech sounds.

Whatamesshaslunch Thu 07-Sep-17 15:59:37

I suspect it's the latter

notgivingin789 Fri 08-Sep-17 11:37:23

That's the sort of speech therapy we got from the NHS.... it was ok but I didn't understand why I had to do it... or what is it exactly that I had to be working on.

I stumbled across a great speech and language therapist called Laura MIze, she has her own website called "teachmetotalk"...she has loooooods of resources on how to help children with their social /language and receptive skills. Much more detailed stuff on what you can do for your child is through her DVD's and therapy manuals. She literally explained everything to me regarding speech therapy... why I had to talk during the play... what words I could be using to enhance DS play skills.

When I first encountered the world of speech therapy. I wrongly assumed speech therapists knew everything to do with helping children the speech/language and communication skills. They don't ! They learn the main bits of speech therapy in school and can work as a speech therapist straight from being a graduate. But speech therapists still need continued training or specific training if they want to get into a certain field. DS NHS therapist was working on letting DS choose his interests and saying short key words during play, turn taking (and that was it). DS private therapist did this... but in greater much detail... she taught me ( this was also provided on the NHS course I went too) the Hanen more than words.... she did Attention Autism with DS... she used his motivations....she worked on social scripting/used pictures to describe how the a character feels... she also taught me how to do shared reading (so not just reading a book and hope DS soaks the words) but sharing the enjoyment of the book...asking the right questions...pick a book similar but a bit higher than DS language so he is able to comprehend what the book is about.

In question... you need to find a therapist who has certain training. The private therapist we used specialised in Autism... so she had specific qualification in helping children the speech/language disorders and ASD/Makaton training (not all speech therapists have Makaton training)..If it wasn't for that particular therapist we had... I probably wouldn't of known about all the avenues I could of taken to help DS... I would of most likely given up on Speech therapy.

notgivingin789 Fri 08-Sep-17 11:38:33

Wow my post was long ! grin

Just to add one more thing. Look for a therapist who has additional qualifications in treating children with speech and language disorders...

Whatamesshaslunch Fri 08-Sep-17 20:13:16

@notgivingin789 this is such a brilliant response, thank you so much!

That's a really excellent point about speech therapists and the different degrees of training that they have. I've posted on the board local to us for any recommendations for STs who specialise in autism and have had a couple of responses so will look them up.

I'll have a good look at 'teachmetotalk'. We're on the waiting list for More than words - I'm so glad you recommend it.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Autumnskiesarelovely Fri 08-Sep-17 20:33:25

I don't think commentating is focused enough if her understanding is good. Motivation is key.

Like saying b for biscuit and holding their biscuit for a few seconds. Leading up to the whole word. And whatever they love doing, like if it's a jigsaw holding the right piece and doing the same thing, giving the piece after they've attempted to ask even if it's one sllyable.

Tiny steps, errorless learning. My son did best when it was a joke, 'no' was one of his first words as I'd do the wrong thing and look at him. No he'd say. Thought it was hilarious.

coffeemachine Sat 09-Sep-17 10:01:48

I have friends with DC with HFA. Good understanding but no motivation.

PECS got them talking.

ParkRunning Fri 06-Oct-17 17:36:26

You can’t be a speech therapist straight from school; that is completely incorrect advice hmm

notgivingin789 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:11:04

Yes you can park. Once you graduated from a degree in speech and language therapy and once you get your HCP certificate... you can practice as a speech and language therapist. Professional development in other areas of expertise is a different thing all together (most jobs are like this).

ParkRunning Sun 08-Oct-17 13:07:07

Are you American perhaps?

School and university in this country are different things.

You can’t be a speech therapist straight from school. You must go to university and get a degree.

notgivingin789 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:04:47

School... University.... whatever.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: