DS hurting siblings

(5 Posts)
pandyandy1 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:31:15

Thank you very much smile

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Sun 20-Aug-17 22:04:42

Again, there are specific staff at places like Cerebra, Contact a Family, and MENACAP, that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised at NAS or Resources for Autism and others having them too, as well as FSW (Family Support Workers) attached to your local Children's Centre who will support you in filling in DLA forms too. smile

pandyandy1 Sun 20-Aug-17 19:13:39

Thank you very much for the reply.

I had a really good chat with my husband about buying the program for our laptop and a printer (about £200 altogether) but he suggested we buy a little tablet and subscribe to the online version of what I had in mind (so that I can create visuals on that tablet, showing him on the screen when required BUT it would be my Son's tablet that we could download relevant apps on to also.)

SO today we have purchased a tablet for £50 and have subscribed to a monthly payment of £5 for the visuals online. Fingers crossed this helps!

In regards the money (as we have purchased/do purchase things specifically for my Son and with two older children I am fully aware he requires far more care than his siblings did at that age) I have actually bitten the bullet and requested the paper copy of the DLA forms. They look really complicated though, so again, fingers crossed!

BackforGood Fri 18-Aug-17 23:24:29

A lot of children with autism do respond really well to symbols, so it would certainly be worth a try I'd have thought - particularly as he has responded well in the past. I mean, there are LOTS of free downloads on-line, but I do see the appeal of just knowing you can create your own without serious searching.
If that is money that is not easily found, then would it be worth applying to a charity to cover the cost? Family Fund maybe? Or ask Cerebra, or MENCAP, or Contact a Family if they can signpost you ?

pandyandy1 Fri 18-Aug-17 22:43:46

Hi

My DS 4.8 was diagnosed with Autism Jan this year (so 4.1).

We have been through phases in the past of him hitting/kicking out at close family when frustrated but this had seemed to really calm down until recently.

Basically since the holidays began, anything he doesn't get his own way with, i.e. TV program, not winning in a game, OR anything he gets over excited with, i.e. paddling pool in the garden, neighbours come to play, he has started randomly hitting/kicking/pulling the hair of his sisters.

We love him to bits, try and pre-empt/prevent incidents and are really patient as parents with my his verbal repetition, rigid thinking and demands...but I really struggle when he hurts his siblings!

I'm not silly. I KNOW this behaviour is for a reason. But for WHAT reason I'm not entirely sure of.
As hitting out more often began around the beginning of the holidays, I can only think that lack of routine is greatly affecting my Son, (who contrary to ASD, I/setting believed coped well with change) but now I am contemplating paying the couple of hundred pounds for 'Communicate in print' and a printer, so that I can produce visuals on a daily basis, based upon what the day will bring (maybe combat silent anxiety?)

I bought a bulk pack of visuals from ebay last year that my Son responds really well to, (though he didn't need any beyond behaviour prompt visuals) however the timetable pictures are of course 'limited' and don't have 'we are going to Nanna's' or 'then we need to drop off a birthday present' etc. With the 'program' I can print whatever I want/whenever I want. BUT does my Son need such specific visuals when he has never had them before? Or is this just a horrible phase?

Advice greatly appreciated

xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in