Need help regarding Draft EHCP

(9 Posts)
philomena15 Wed 26-Jul-17 23:45:52

I have received draft EHCP for my 6 year old son. He is having a Statement with full term-time ABA support in school.

LA agreed to continue ABA for one more year and then added a phrase "this provision will be reviewed at the next annual review with a view to reduce the amount of ABA provision leading up to and during the academic year 2018-19, in order to increase independence for secondary school".

My son is starting Year 3 in September 2017. So, LA is talking about reducing ABA in Year 4. My son clearly needs ABA as he is lagging behind in expressive language still and also he is well-behaved only with ABA. So, I think it is too early to talk about reducing ABA in Year 4 to prepare for Secondary school.

Please give your feedback on the above lines said by LA. Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
vjg13 Thu 27-Jul-17 07:07:05

SOS:SEN do an excellent draft EHC plan check, I found it invaluable. I think Education Equality do similar.

It seems a very odd statement in that they are almost confirming withdrawal of support. I would expect it to say "provision will be reviewed at the next annual review" without the additional part. Even if that wording can be removed, it does seem very clear what the LEA's agenda is, so at least you can be prepared to show why he does still require that level of support.

OneInEight Thu 27-Jul-17 07:37:55

Sounds like a financial target for your LA rather than an educational target for your ds which is what the EHCP should be about.

Whilst independence is an ultimate desirable aim there needs to be a better thought through strategy of how / when it could be achieved.

So I would want the wording to be more like when XXX has reached YYYY target (be it educational, social, or behavioural) then ZZZZ new strategy will be attempted. With ZZZZ being a small incremental step with defined goal and success measure rather than total removal of support.

philomena15 Fri 28-Jul-17 00:12:52

Thank you very much vjg13 & OneInEight.
You both have reflected what is there in my mind. I have booked a local Consultant now to help us with this draft EHCP. Hoping to solve this soon.
Thanks again.

muiisal Sat 05-Aug-17 21:59:08

there's a great Facebook group for EHCP support - def worth checking out, wealth of knowledge there and they're quick to respond.

amunt Sat 05-Aug-17 22:43:59

I would also argue, as we did at Tribunal, that the point of the ABA is to increase independence, not the other way around. The exact opposite of what they say would make sense, 'increase ABA hours to speed up independence for secondary school." As already pointed out, the motive is purely financial.

HateTheUnknown Sun 06-Aug-17 07:23:46

Hi sorry to high jack your post OP but how did you get them to agree to ABA in the first place? Also were you involved in choosing the tutor? Thanks

Chasingmytail17 Mon 07-Aug-17 06:49:31

Very interested in this also HateTheUnknown we are hoping for our ABA tutor to go into school when DS starts next yr.

philomena15 Mon 07-Aug-17 22:39:47

Thank you muiisal & amunt. I will check the FB group.

@HateTheUnknown & @Chasingmytail17 - we got ABA in statement after going to tribunal. Now, using the transfer to EHCP, LA is trying to reduce the ABA provision.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in