Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Are they aware of meltdowns/is thisna meltdown? advice please

(4 Posts)
sunshine99789 Sun 02-Jul-17 07:50:30

Hi,

My daughter is currently undergoing assessment for HFA, yesterday she had a meltdown because I did her sandwich wrong (I did it how I always do...but because I didnt ask her, she decided shw wanted it different)
Anyhoo...this resulted in her screaming and shouting at me for half an hour. I took the sandwich away and she went crazy.

The thing is, Its obviously a loss of control but can they actually help it and remember what has happened during that time? My daughter seems to rant and rave....go quiet a while and then start up again without anyone even being near her.

Im just at a loss if this is 'typical' hfa behaviour or more of a behavioural thing.
Also when she really loses it she pretends she is a cat (her favourite animal) and will hiss at you.

She does have issues with noise and transitions as well and is still incontinent, there are other issues also but the behaviour is the most concerning.

Any advice please?

sunshine99789 Sat 08-Jul-17 17:07:07

anyone? x

Apparentlychilled Sat 08-Jul-17 18:45:38

Bumping for you. I don't know the answer but I think my 9 yo DD remembers, though it's through a fog of uncontrollable anger.

Polter Sat 08-Jul-17 19:30:54

Yes, can be sort of aware of meltdowns but, no, not in full control. Some people remember and some don't. It's a very scary thing to experience and it's worth asking her how she'd like you to react when she has one (if she's able to articulate it).

Meltdowns are a massive panic attack, a culmination of intolerable stress and anxiety, so the way to prevent them is to make her life less stressful and help reduce her anxiety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now