Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ear-piercing squealing from CP child

(3 Posts)
TakeItFromMe Thu 15-Jun-17 11:23:20

Our DD is 4, she has CP and is blind and globally delayed. She has no words at all and she doesn’t walk, crawl, scoot or sit up unaided. She’s always been a ‘joyous’ child, laughing easily at pretty much anything, and being very interactive. She has always squealed with happiness and whinged with frustration a lot but as she gets older the squealing gets louder and the whinging gets more endless.

My DH and I are now struggling to cope with the continual ear-piercing screams. It actually hurts our ears, my DH (as her carer) spends more time with her than I do and he now has ringing in his ears. He has taken to occasionally wearing ear-plugs but this doesn’t seem like a very safe permanent solution as we also have an older DD. It’s got to the point now where I don’t want to go out as a family because her screaming and squealing impacts on the people around us over quite some distance. We don’t know how to stop it. Can anyone please help or provide us with some advice? It sounds dramatic but we are reaching the end of our tether and I feel very depressed about it. I know I should just be grateful that she’s happy but I can’t cope with this forever.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 15-Jun-17 17:52:11

ds is sometimes given a hug in these circumstances in an attempt to muffle the noise in my cleavage.

2old2beamum Thu 15-Jun-17 20:55:46

Our son deafblind cp and globially delayed went through this and one thing considered was Sandefelds Syndrome (silent reflux) He in the end was given Amitriptyline and Propanolol. Do you think she may be in pain? It took nearly 6 months to twig he was in pain......stupid parents in our case!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: