Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SN son will not get his hair cut!

(7 Posts)
Damonlufc88 Fri 02-Jun-17 23:04:25

4 Unsuccessful attempts in a row now. He is none verbal and were on the Autism diagnosis waiting list... He flits and panics and refuses to sit at the hairdresser, he had his last successful cut back in February. He is getting worse and worse and his hair is growing long at the back and sides. The only suggestion is to try whilst he is asleep myself although I'm totally not in anyway a barber. Can anybody give me any tips or methods they have used.

Polter Sat 03-Jun-17 08:51:55

Cutting it when ds was in the bath helped at that age, only works for a child who likes baths! But it massively reduces the sensory stuff. And accepting it may take a few baths to get it looking tidier. We moved on to clippers and putting googly eyes on them helped!

Damonlufc88 Sat 03-Jun-17 09:15:55

He does love the bath although washing his hair must sound like an exorcism to the neighbours. He is very self aware that I have scissors even when I try to snip parts. Its been trial and error for a long time. I just want to tone his hair now it's getting warmer

OneInEight Sat 03-Jun-17 13:45:06

One lady I knew had great success with the brushing technique. Basically giving a lot of sensory input via using a firm brush on his arms before going to the barber's. We, I am afraid, have taken the easy option and let ds2 have his hair long as he found it too stressful (mainly from social anxiety rather than sensory problems) to have it cut.

Shybutnotretiring Sat 03-Jun-17 19:08:00

Barbers with toys? Each child customer gets to choose a toy from the enticing glass cabinet. I thought DS didn't mind having his hair cut until i took him to a hairdresser with no toys! Not sure where you are but there is one in Ealing.

PunkyBubba Sat 03-Jun-17 21:02:00

DS1 was exactly the same. I did the cutting when he was asleep for a really long time.. I'm no barber either, and would just do a bit at a time.. Hairdressers scissors are essential as less tug on the hair. Sometimes it would take 11/12 nights doing a bit at a time. I would take photos in the day, so I could see where it was wonky, to try to fix it the following night!

It then moved on to doing a bit in the bath. I'd call it 'snip snip', and let him cut a very small lock of my hair first, if I could then cut a bit of his (obviously had to wait until he could understand that concept.. )That moved on slowly to him letting me cut a fair amount in one go...

Now (he is 5.5 years) we have moved on to clippers.. I tried them a year or so ago and couldn't get close to him, but this time around he was quite open to trying it. I have to be quick though as he can only tolerate so much, and then is rewarded with doughnut, or chunky kitkat!

TieGrr Tue 06-Jun-17 16:35:49

One of the parents in DD's class just did one piece or two every day. It took almost an entire summer to give her DS a full haircut.

Is there any support groups in your area where parents might be able to recommend a barber they've used?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: