Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Screaming

(2 Posts)
readyornot2011 Wed 31-May-17 14:27:24

My son is nearly 3 and almost certainly autistic. He doesn't yet talk at all, he can say the odd word; Mama, ball, etc but doesn't really know what they mean. He has started to mimic sounds now, so if I ask him to say car he'll say 'Ka' or similar. He will also point to stuff in the story books he knows well and try and say stuff e.g. Mou for Mouse.

He communicates largely by pulling me around to whatever he wants...

His understanding is limited but increasing by the day.

When he doesn't get what he wants or when I refuse to be dragged around or when I ask him to do something he doesn't want to do.... he screams.... not continuously... it's not a meltdown (I don't think), I usually can distract him.... it's just a form of communicating his frustration.

Me: upstairs
Him:scream
Me: no iPad
Him: scream

And so goes my day.... it's driving me nuts. I try not to react to the screaming and ask him to say Mama at which point I do whatever it is he wants, although some things (like te iPad) you can't always say yes to.

Any tips very gratefully received. I thought I was good mum but without any form of communication to reason with him, I'm useless!

any tips appreciated x

Msqueen33 Wed 31-May-17 18:20:25

Similar here but with a four year old who is non verbal. It drives me mad. Have you tried pecs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now