Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

PDA and coping when discipline makes things worse?

(3 Posts)
DaffodilTime Mon 22-May-17 17:50:54

I am fairly sure DS aged 6 has PDA and he is extremely hard to parent at times, especially after a very easy time with DD who is older and always listened and been thoughtful if I ever needed to pull her up on anything.
Today DS pushed a boy when they were up in a tree and it is a very dangerous place to do this plus something he absolutely mustn't do anyway. But how do I get this through to him when a firm reproach makes it much worse and he closes down in extreme stress? It took an hour to calm him down and meanwhile looks like I am 'not strict enough ' in others eyes.

I don't want him to ever get away with bad behaviour but don't know how to help him as he is so different to other children in how he reacts. I never give in to his tantrums and not sure what else I can do!!

Marshmallow09er Tue 23-May-17 14:58:56

Hi Daffodil

I didn't want to leave you unanswered.

The book The Explosive Child has been excellent for us in terms of understanding DS so much better, if you haven't come across it I'd absolutely recommend reading it.

DaffodilTime Thu 25-May-17 12:35:21

I will order that: it is extremely kind of you. It's really helpful as I do feel at a loss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now