Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Don't know what to do .... advice needed

(2 Posts)
confusedinlondon Wed 17-May-17 23:29:17

Does anyone know the best way to start the process of getting additional help and support. My child needs help with a number of things but I just don't know where to start. I read all these threads with information about people's who've managed to get their child seen by a occupational therapist, EP, etc but I don't know how to get this started.

Who should i speak to and what should i be asking?

The teacher at his school, who had raised concerns, was going to arrange a review of my son but the SEN co-ordinator was off ill and it didn't happen. The teacher has since left and been replaced with a supply teacher, who doesn't seem to know the processes.

Main problems are he is clumsy; avoids eye contact with people; seems to be in his own world, day dreaming, and he won't resond to his name, you need to shake him to snap out of it; becomes hysterical if his routine changes; has no interest in other children, would sit alone during play time.

Who do I speak to and what sort of support can I get to guide me through this process because it seems so complex. Any help, or links would be welcome.

Polter Thu 18-May-17 07:24:53

I would suggest writing down a list of all your concerns and then book a GP appointment, you can go alone, and explain that you have concerns about ds's development and would like him referred for assessment.

These Fact Files are a very good resource to help you identify concerns and things to try as well.

Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: