Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

3.5 yr Ds suspected ASD, VABS results

(6 Posts)
Chasingmytail17 Tue 16-May-17 22:36:11

We are in the system for getting Ds assessed as his paedeatrician suspects ASD. We however are all to aware of how he is getting behind socially and struggling with communication so we have just started to get an ABA programme started. He has his assessment day and we got the VABS results through. The categories gave an age related score as well as a number and I suppose it was a bit of a shock to see how low some of his scores were. It just doesn't seem like they could be referring to my boy. I'm finding it difficult to stay positive for him and everything seems so negative. I know it needs to be to get the right support for him but as his mum it really drags me down. I don't really know what exactly I'm saying. Just finding it hard. I have a 1 yr old as well and some of his scores place him as lower than 1yr which just feels so odd.

Shybutnotretiring Tue 16-May-17 22:43:30

I know, I felt like this when DS had his autism (and associated things like visual processing disorder) assessed at St Thomas' Hospital. Lots of scores like 'below 1st percentile', 'below 0.5 percentile'. It feels unreal.

Chasingmytail17 Tue 16-May-17 22:48:51

Could you see how the scores matched up shy? It just feels like he can't possibly be performing the same as a 9 month old socially?! Although I obviously do see he is behind I didn't think it was that much!

Cakescakescakes Wed 17-May-17 16:58:18

We had some very very low scores for my DS when we had the VB MAPP done. He was at 9-12 months on several things. For him a lot of this was because he wouldn't comply with the demands of the assessor to show that he could do some of the things. So because he wouldn't engage he got virtually zero. Some of the low scores weee accurate though sad

But after a year when we had the assessment repeated he had made incredible progress so have heart!

Shybutnotretiring Wed 17-May-17 20:15:35

Yes, unfortunately I can see how the very low scores are consistent with his quite extreme learning difficulties. As you say though, everyone's a bit of an enigma - I keep hoping that there's more won't than can't but you just have to keep on trying. But also try and enjoy the good bits too!

Soulcakequack Fri 19-May-17 13:15:52

Chasing I m sorry I can't add anything useful but remember you for other threads. I'm sorry things are hard right now.

Assessments are important and show things that as a parent are hard to see. But remember your lovely boy is so much more than one assessment x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now