Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA ending at 16

(9 Posts)
MrsSthe3rd Fri 12-May-17 20:03:03

My DD is 16 and a month after her birthday, I have had a letter to say it's going to stop. It says I need to contact them if she'll be applying for PIP because they must assume she suddenly has no issues anymore

When I was made her appointee, the lady said it would continue, whilst the application for PIP was going through.

Her DLA award doesn't actually run out until November this year.

What should I do?

AndNowItIsSeven Fri 12-May-17 23:13:59

Apply for pip before the deadline on the letter. The dla will then continue until four weeks after a decision has been made re pip. When you receive the form ( after the telephone call wait a week then phone up and ask for more time , you will be given an additional two weeks so four weeks in total to fill in form.

MrsSthe3rd Sat 13-May-17 09:06:57

Thanks for the info. But, there's no application form with it. It just says if she wants to apply, do it before X date. (Just to add, we're not past X date yet).

I've checked the account and there's less been paid to her, so I'm presuming they have already stopped it. She's going to be devastated she has to stop doing what it was paying for. And with no preparation either.

halogreen Sat 13-May-17 10:26:25

You need to apply by phone and then they send you a longer form to fill in. What is the date on the letter? The DLA shouldn't stop or be reduced before that date so you need to find out what is happening with that.

Get advice before filling out the PIP form, it's different from DLA criteria and CAB or a disability organisation will give specific advice. It's worth waiting until the deadline date for the initial phone call, and asking for extra time as pp said, because that will stretch out your application process. If PIP doesn't get awarded and that happens before November, then the DLA stops straight away. So the longer it takes to get a PIP decision, the longer you can hang on to DLA.

halogreen Sat 13-May-17 10:29:01

She can apply for ESA in her own name as well from age 16 - if she is getting DLA she can get it even if she is in education. But if she got it, you'd stop getting any child benefit/tax credits so you need to work out which option leaves you better off.

AndNowItIsSeven Sat 13-May-17 11:19:43

Sorry I know there would be no application with it . I said you make a telephone call before the date on your letter.

AndNowItIsSeven Sat 13-May-17 11:28:01

1) wait until the day before the last date to apply and ring up the pip line you will be asked questions on the phone . It will take about twenty mins.
2) A pip2 form will arrive in the post it will have a date it needs to be returned by.
3) wait a week then ring an ask for a two week extension.
4) Send back form with a GP letter if possible stating why your dd meets the specific criteria for pip e.g. Needs support organising dressing, can't plan and follow journey alone etc
5) wait - your dd will most likely be sent fir a face to face appointment, you can change this only once - you can request a home visit but get doctors supporting letter or you may struggle.
6) the dla WILL be paid until four weeks after the pip decision if you meet all the deadlines.

Also sign up to this website www.benefitsandwork.co.uk
Do the pip self test for free and I would advise joining. I can pm you a code to join for £16 if you message me.

AndNowItIsSeven Sat 13-May-17 11:31:24

Also if you dd has just turned 16 you may have got one or two weeks, then it resets itself to four week payments. E.g. If you were paid two weeks on May 8th you will be paid again two weeks later not four and then every four weeks.
It is just the way the system works when turning 16.

MrsSthe3rd Mon 15-May-17 11:14:10

Thanks all for the info/help.

The date on the letter is the beginning of June, halogreen - I'll also look into her applying for those other things herself, although, she wouldn't plan for her hobbies with it and has no financial understanding - unless we're talking a couple of pounds.

AndNowItIsSeven, apologies, I read it very quick so didn't fully take it in. I'll also look at the website you suggest and will message you regarding a code.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now