ASD, sensory issues and washing (especially hair)

(3 Posts)
Moon05 Mon 01-May-17 22:21:51

Has anyone else experienced difficulties getting a child to wash due to sensory problems? My 11 year old now refuses to wash her hair at all, including the no rinse shampoo I've bought but she won't try. It seems to be both water and anything touching her neck that are causing problems. And today she refused to even get in the bath!

OP’s posts: |
Popalina Tue 02-May-17 13:57:10

Hi, I have hair washing issues with my DD who is just 3. I was going to try one of those brimmed bath hats to keep the water away from her face and neck. We have tried a few things but it all ends in tears. She doesn't mind a bath though, just no water above the neckline.

Some tips I have heard of - googles, beauty salon (expensive but neck doesn't tend to get wet as head is laid back over sink), sitting backwards on a bath stool in the bath, holding a twel over face and leaning head back then you using a shower with a super gentle sprayer.

Other things general to just keeping clean:
Assemble child's own personalised grooming kit which you both go shopping together for.
Break up 'wash/bath time' into easy steps

Tips on www.faqautism.com

Sorry if any of this is patronising. I haven't visited the site yet as I only got this info through last night.

I sympathise. It's really hard!

Allthewaves Tue 02-May-17 16:35:12

Friend get her dc to lie over end of bed and she washes her hair in a bucket - cheaper than a salon.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in