Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Chew toys

(10 Posts)
MrsJ0612 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:48:02

DD has literally bitten her fingernails down to the nail bed, they regularly bleed and are raw looking sad she has also in the past couple of months began licking things - started by licking a mirror in a changing room and its getting worse. She licks trolleys, my coat, my skin, her skin, windows etc. She also occasionally spits for no reason - only today I have realised the spitting is probably sensory too. I am wondering if chew toys may help this? Or any other suggestions very welcomed!

CloudPerson Mon 24-Apr-17 19:51:18

Chewigem are very good, and if you find them in fb there's a discount code.
My youngest stopped chewing through his sleeves after we bought him a chewy.
I don't know if it would help with the spitting and licking though.
(As an aside, if anyone knows of anything to replace/stop spitting, I'd love to know, ds2 is spitting constantly and it's driving me mad!)

PolterGoose Mon 24-Apr-17 20:18:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJ0612 Mon 24-Apr-17 20:41:52

Thank you, i've ordered some from chewigem.

Polter - I wouldn't trust my dd with chewing gum yet, shes only 5 but if I said don't swallow, it she would!

PolterGoose Mon 24-Apr-17 20:52:23

PolterGoose Mon 24-Apr-17 20:53:45

CloudPerson Mon 24-Apr-17 21:33:13

Thanks Polter, funny you say that, as the spitting has taken over from a chewing gum phase, might have to tell him not to chew gum all the time to make it a thing again....

PolterGoose Mon 24-Apr-17 21:44:17

CloudPerson Mon 24-Apr-17 22:01:51

Ooh, that's a good idea grin

zzzzz Mon 24-Apr-17 22:18:12

Have you tried the bitter nail varnish?
The majority of people bite their nails when young (and some of us into adulthood).
Attention to nails often reduces things. File nails, clip them, rub oil into cuticles (coconut oil is excellent)
What about liquorice root or something less yucky if it goes down the back of your sofa?

Ds does it too though for us it's when he isn't happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now