We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD nearly 5 year old severe separation anxiety at night

(4 Posts)
TheLittleMe Sun 23-Apr-17 11:08:35

Wondering if anyone can help. We got back from a fortnight abroad one week ago. My daughter had a great holiday, but is being a horror ever since we got back.

She used to go to sleep on her own in her bed with the door shut. Since we got back I have to sit outside her room until she is asleep. She then wakes several times a night, wanting me to sit on the end of her bed until she is asleep. Last night she slept 8-11 and then was up and down from 11-1, then woke again at 3.40am when I put her mattress on my bedroom floor. She just wants to be with me all of the time, and with a full time job and another child this is not possible.

Does anyone have any advice? I have tried a sticker chart, saying she can have a sticker if she goes straight back to sleep, but in the middle of the night she just doesn't care about this. We did try just putting her back in her bed and leaving her for the first 3 nights, but she literally screamed hysterically all night, so this is not an option.

She slept fine whilst we were away, although she did share a room with her older brother.

Imaginosity Sun 23-Apr-17 19:42:49

I have one child with autism and an NT 5 year old. My 5 year old has the exact same issues at night as your daughter. He has occasionally slept alone but much prefers to have a parent in the bed. He gets very upset if I put him to bed alone. I think in our case it's down to bad habits rather than any major issue with him. I let him fall asleep in my bed with me at about 8.30. He falls asleep by about 9.15 and then I get up. He sleeps in the bed with me then all night. We all get a good nights sleep. I know this wouldn't exactly be ideal for everyone but it works for us. He'll probably grow out of it in a while.

CloudPerson Sun 23-Apr-17 19:49:07

My youngest (6) still sleeps with us, otherwise he's up and down all night and doesn't sleep.
He's suspected ASD, but no diagnosis.
Personally I can't face the battle of getting him to sleep alone as I can't cope without sleep, and we find he gets into better sleep patterns if he's allowed to be with me or dh through the night.
Probably not that helpful, sorry!

TheLittleMe Sun 23-Apr-17 20:44:14

All replies and opinions helps, thanks so much.

Really loathed to allow her in my bed. I just feel like I do need some time away from her for my own sanity more than anything else.

Just had our first wake up of the night...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now