Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

2nd ASD assessment worries

(9 Posts)
Sabbyandsprogs Thu 20-Apr-17 20:10:59

Evening..sorry for the upcoming newbie offload but I'm losing the will to live.

So my 13yr daughter has always been a handful, as a toddler she had crazy obsessions with materialistic things, could throw a 6hour meltdown if she was presented with the wrong type of chocolate bar and talked about death continuously. She came of school age and we dealt with daily panic attacks, a fear of the classroom, noise and people. She seemed to just Plato along not excelling just managing. School voiced their concerns, we fought for help and went from pillar to post to get an assessment for ASD when she was 10.

Throughout the whole process we were told she was textbook Aspergers... until it came to the conclusion. "Although £+_% meets all the criteria for Aspergers Syndrome, she made sufficiant eye contact and showed empathy we feel that that £+_% no longer needs our services"!!!!! The door was closed on us...

Fast forward almost 4yrs and she is now in the final stretch of year 9 at secondary, doing her GCSE's - We have fought tooth and nail with the School, Early help team, Fegans and the doctors to get another assessment with CAMHS all of them behind us in the belief she is on the spectrum. She goes to school 60% of the time (school of 1400 children) she cannot cope with the noise, the setting, the sheer size of the classes, the lights the colours the list goes on...she manages maybe 1 or 2 lessons a day and spends the rest of the time in their SEN centre (they are amazing with her)..we have recently tried to apply for a EHCP but this was declined - the school want us to appeal so I will be following that up in the next week or so....

I have my half of her assessment tomorrow morning with my daughter having hers next friday, my stress is that the lady doing her part is the same lady that 4 years ago closed the books on us sad Im so stressed that so many people are behind us in begging for the help my daughter needs yet this one person has the power to say no and Im so scared of what the future will hold if this is the case.

Sorry for the essay, but Im just wondering has anyone else had to battle like this?

xxx

zzzzz Thu 20-Apr-17 20:41:45

Did they say in writing that she fit the criteria but they weren't going to assess because of her more nt eye contact?

PolterGoose Thu 20-Apr-17 20:51:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sabbyandsprogs Thu 20-Apr-17 20:54:36

Yes - they said that although she met the criteria for Aspergers syndrome, she was observed through the assessment and showed an appropriate level of social interaction so therefore we feel that there is no need for further involvement from CAMHS.

xxx

Sabbyandsprogs Thu 20-Apr-17 20:56:47

Thank you PolterGoose - I have plenty of notes as I thought this time I would go armed with ammo haha, Early help told me to keep notes over the past few months and to take them with me, so I have just been watching my daughter and writing down everything on a day to day basis smile xxx

zzzzz Thu 20-Apr-17 21:43:43

I think my focus would be on the wording. Do NOT highlight their obvious mistakes (because the last thing you want is them protecting their previous position).
My query (should it be needed) would be why they are conflating diagnosis and support (in this instance CAMHs involvement)? You are seeking diagnosis not CAMHs involvement. Diagnosis is dependent on meeting the criteria. which the twits have put in writing

Sabbyandsprogs Thu 20-Apr-17 22:01:31

Thank you..this has been pointed out many times by professionals. I shall report on how tomorrow's meeting goes as well as next Fridays - we have been told if we hang about for 30 mins after the her one they will give us a rough indication on their thinking xx

Sabbyandsprogs Sat 06-May-17 12:05:53

So the assessment was delayed by a week and took place yesterday - and they have agreed she is autistic...scored highly on both parts of the assessment. We have to wait a few weeks for the formal diognoses but I'm feeling so relieved.

thank you all for your help and kind words xxx

PolterGoose Sat 06-May-17 14:13:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now