Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What school shoes do you buy for kids with sensory issues?

(9 Posts)
lottieandmia Sun 16-Apr-17 11:36:36

My 8 year old dd has sensory integration problems and consequently she rolls her feet outwards onto her ankles a lot. I tell her not to do it but she keeps on doing it and her Lelli Kelly shoes are ruined after 1 term! Is it better to get shoes that don't have a heel/ are stiffer like Startrite? Any other suggestions for these sensory issues?

PolterGoose Sun 16-Apr-17 11:41:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PickAChew Sun 16-Apr-17 11:46:46

Girls' shoes in general are pretty rubbish for support.

Even without insoles, a wide flat sole tends to be better for stability.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 16-Apr-17 16:57:12

Ricosta were quite good for Dd3 and the inner comes out if you have orthotics. smile

lottieandmia Sun 16-Apr-17 18:20:50

Thank you for the suggestions- I've not tried those insoles before so I'll see if I can get them. I think having a heel on the shoe just encourages rolling outwards so I guess a flat sole is the best.

EineKleine Sun 16-Apr-17 23:06:40

If you are after stiffer shoes it's worth asking for that specifically. Startrite vary. Some are stiffer, deeper, boxier and more supportive - older fashioned really - and others are more "modern", thinner soled, flexible and more like Clark's.

No experience of your DD's issues, mine had very deep insteps and needed to walk a lot of miles. The shop refused to sell us Lelli Kellys for her, much to her disgust! She ended up with ones like this for years, which come quite high up the foot with a smallish cut out and tend to be more rigid:
www.startriteshoes.com/girls-shoes/school-shoes/louisa-black-patent-girls-buckle-school-shoes

Vs these which are the more modern shape, and probably more immediately comfortable TBH:
www.startriteshoes.com/girls-shoes/school-shoes/lizzy-black-girls-riptape-school-shoes-39310

lottieandmia Mon 17-Apr-17 11:42:36

I actually love those Louisa ones - they are a real classic.

EineKleine Mon 17-Apr-17 14:51:23

Yes I liked them too. No experience of the ankle rolling though.

Didiplanthis Thu 27-Apr-17 12:42:29

My dd wears through shoes ridiculously fast and needs deep supportive shoes. She has start rite ones like the Louisa ones but with Velcro. They are called Scissors I think but there are a range of very similar ones with the same fit. However she still goes through at least 2 often 3 pairs a year !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now