Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EHCP and outcomes - struggling with parental report

(7 Posts)
Loueytb3 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:55:43

Just started the transfer to EHCP. DS1 (ASD/ADHD) has a statement which was issued when he was 3 and has never been changed. I am trying to draft my report and I want to try and make the outcomes as specific as possible so that the LA do not have much wriggle room when it comes to drafting the plan.

However, I am not sure how to draft it.

To give an example, he needs regular sensory OT. The OT report states that he needs it, and she is about to update it to quantify exactly how much he needs.

For example, her report states "DS's main difficulties are with his inability to process and use appropriately the sensory information being acquired by his body"

I am trying to describe the outcome. So far I have:

"For DS to modulate his senses so that he is able to learn to the best of his ability and reduce his levels of anxiety"

Is that an outcome and do I need to specify what therapy he needs to achieve this? There is no obvious place on the form to do this.

LongDivision Thu 13-Apr-17 21:14:42

hi Louey, sorry your post is unanswered! I am not an expert, but we were advised to have very specific, measurable outcomes. So, for instance: "for X to be able to listen to a 10 minute story at carpet time", " for X to be able to make a requesy from a peer", "for X to attend to a 5 minute activity". Maybe the OT can give you ideas? The OT also should state specific requests for her time, such as 5 sessions per term (I can't remember where that is included, however, but the OT will know). good luck!

LongDivision Thu 13-Apr-17 21:16:22

whoops - request, not requesy!

Haveasay Sat 15-Apr-17 15:58:38

As LongDivision says, outcomes should be measurable. Your OT should be identifying why your son would benefit from OT by identifying what he will be able to do following an input of OT that he can't do now.
To say 'to be able to learn to the best of his ability' is too vague - how could it be measured?
Outcomes should be written for a phase of education - many local authorities do not put a time frame on them - but they should.
Maybe something like, 'By the end of Key Stage (?) x will be able to independently use strategies he has been taught to manage his sensory processing needs so that he is able to attend in lesson and make measurable ( expected) progress across the curriculum'
The OT would need to specify the level of provision required.

Loueytb3 Tue 18-Apr-17 20:23:01

Sorry for the belated reply - that's really helpful. I am going to talk to his school this week and get some more examples from the OT. DS1 saw her today for a session of OT and he is so much calmer tonight!

youarenotkiddingme Wed 19-Apr-17 06:52:49

My ds outcome is similar to what you put.

It's to recognise when he's struggling with sensory environment and to use the correct sensory technique to regulate himself.

It's then broken down and he's to learn to recognise emotion and change of body feeling in himself. Learn to use the technique independently. Make age expected progress through being able to access the curriculum.

The personal plan step by step is for Lsa to point out/peony changes and suggest/direct to sensory stuff.

Ds to self direct sensory tasks when an adult highlights it's needed.

Ds to recognise when he needs to use sensory technique/ take a break and speak to Lsa for support to do this

Ds to independently .....

I think it depends on how hold the school is tbh! I know that ds school will use his hours to ensure he meets the overall outcome so don't need the tiresome battle of a completely watertight EHCP.
I've Lao worked it a little bit ambiguity about what each outcome can mean gives me some leeway for interpreting it differently and being able to discuss with school other uses for his funding and other inputs!

Loueytb3 Fri 21-Apr-17 09:09:36

Thanks youarenotkiddingme - that's really helpful. I am finding it much harder to work out specific outcomes for sensory needs than for the other needs he has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now