Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd gets in a state over parties

(7 Posts)
Blossom4538 Sun 09-Apr-17 08:22:10

What do you do. Our Dd (5) is keen to go to friends party (despite recent friendship issues and her saying she's not allowed to come). But she gets in such a state on the actual day. So worked up despite saying she wants to go, high anxiety, tantrums over everything, just terrible. This starts as soon as she gets up and party might not be until 3 or 4 in afternoon. She gets exhausted. Some we've made it to, other times I think it's just not worth it.
Once there, she clings to us and doesn't interact with her friends or particularly enjoy,
Apart from cake and face painting.
We've made it to some but cancelled others.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Apr-17 09:14:26

I started to turn down invitations with ds when he started to do this. It was just all too much.

Blossom4538 Sun 09-Apr-17 11:46:40

We've contacted the Mum and she was very understanding. We have a family birthday today also, so all too much. It's a shame. She wants to go but gets sooo worked up and since we've decided to give it a miss, it's like a weights been lifted and she's different again.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 09-Apr-17 14:42:51

Dd3 hated church hall type parties but was ok in some environments providing I stayed. We used to pick and choose the ones we thought she would manage if she wanted to go.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 09-Apr-17 14:44:03

Give yourself permission to let go of the expectations that your Dd should enjoy things that other people enjoy! That was a great lesson for me smile

Blossom4538 Sun 09-Apr-17 19:31:12

Thank you.

Allthewaves Fri 14-Apr-17 21:29:31

Stop parties and do treats she can cope with. Even if it's face painting at home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now