Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Counts at "lining things up"/unusual or normal kiddy play....?

(6 Posts)
Blossom4538 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:49:40

Today, I sat with my poorly DD 5 (who's assessment for ASD) and she made lots and lots of play doh bones for her dog.
She's done this in the past. We then have to put them in a Tupperware. She spent ages and there were more rows than in the photo
Attached - had to make 50, although she wanted to make 100, but ran out of playdoh. Here's a pic! What do u think, NT play for her age or slight obsessive/lining things up tendency linked to ASD?

It's something I get confused about. DD does have some imaginative play but I guess a little limited and she's more into organising or setting up things and arts and crafts/jigsaws etc. She does kind of line objects up a little.

JustAnotherSilentOldNumber Sun 02-Apr-17 19:00:02

It's called a schema, it is one of those things that's a normal thing for toddlers to do, but becomes less normal as the age and extremity increases.

So lining up cars at 3 is normal
Making 50 bones at 5 less so.

zzzzz Sun 02-Apr-17 20:17:11

I think it's pretty mainstream. Especially if you are the kids nd of parent that lets your child play as they want not as you do. smile

The tools they use to assess are quite rigid and if she fits the criteria they will show it. Try not to analyse her play for "imagination", or "repetition" it won't tell you what they are going to find and it eats away at some beautiful times.

PolterGoose Sun 02-Apr-17 20:49:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blossom4538 Sun 02-Apr-17 23:17:03

Thank you.

I had to make one playdoh bone and then she and so on...I did get just slightly bored, hehe!!! confused

She is almost 6. There's been a fair amount of lining things up recently and just some more unusual behaviours. I am not always sure whether they are relevant as I feel I start to over analyse things, but will make a note/give them copies of photos.
We had a very tough week last week and it was a battle to get her to school. We were extremely late two days in a row. Meeting with school next week.
She's had a weekend at home due to illness, few demands placed on her and it's helped her so much.

Blossom4538 Sun 02-Apr-17 23:25:50

Also meant to say, we are going to try a visual timetable in the mornings, see if that helps at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: