Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sen list and dysgraphia- quick one pen licence!

(10 Posts)
Waitingforsleep Wed 29-Mar-17 14:52:44

Hello
Just a quick one as I have a meeting at school tomorrow but Dd has dysgraphia dyslexia hyper Mobility in her joints and anxiety.
One of he only ones not to get a pen licence and is upset.
Is this discrimination?

Ineedmorepatience Wed 29-Mar-17 18:49:38

Grrrrr, pen licences = nightmare for children with writing difficulties!

Dd3 never got one and left primary writing in pencil! She is home ed now and never picks up a pen/ pencil. She does everything on a laptop or tablet!

Waitingforsleep Wed 29-Mar-17 19:18:23

But surely they shouldn't allow this?
I'm actually going to ask tomorrow that they give her one as it's unfair. I spoke to the ot who said a roller ball one with grip would be good so was going to get those, the anxiety she is feeling over "who's going to get a pen licence" and "look at xyz you need to be like them"
Teacher circled her work then said that's why you haven't got a pen licence

tartanterror Wed 29-Mar-17 22:33:48

To make it fair your DD should have extra support to help her get the license and/or reduced standards. Not many schools seem to do this in a fair way though.....

My DS has made some progress with Magic Link handwriting - but started refusing so we are having a break. He really likes writing with a Lamy Safari fountain pen. Very smooth and a nice triangular grip. Might be worth using that at home.

Waitingforsleep Thu 30-Mar-17 09:08:51

Thanks will do

blaeberry Thu 30-Mar-17 09:40:21

I find rather than saying 'why hasn't dd got her pen licence?' It is better to ask 'what support and adjustments have you put in place to help dd to overcome her disability and have the same opportunity to use a pen as the other dc?' Adjustments may be handwriting support, writing slope, using a laptop for more extended writing, being given notes rather than having to copy down too much, lower handwriting expectations to achieve the licence. Though if an OT says a pen would be better for her now then she should just be using a pen regardless of any silly licence.

Waitingforsleep Thu 30-Mar-17 10:39:01

Yes I will be approaching it In this way and asking how they can help with her learning etc. So annoying!!!

JigglyTuff Thu 30-Mar-17 10:46:13

DS never got one either - it sucks

His writing is much better with a pen than it was with a pencil ironically (he's in year 5 now and they all get pens)

blaeberry Thu 30-Mar-17 10:58:28

Dd (no SEN) is in the equivalent of Y7 and they all still use pencils! I learnt to write with a fountain pen and it was a nightmare, especially as a left-hander, but I love writing with a fountain pen now - it is so much smoother and you don't press on the paper at all.

Waiting doesn't she have any adjustments at the moment?

youarenotkiddingme Thu 30-Mar-17 21:29:07

My ds had this issue. He had a wonderful teacher in year 5 who raised his difficulties with writing in pencil and how light he wrote. I laughed and said I wonder if he'd benefit most from a handwriting pen despite being the only child who still hadn't got one (most had them by end of infants)

His teacher also laughed and said he'd never thought of that - gave him the handwriting pen - and voila - improvement!

I'd ask them what assessments have been carried out that had concluded she is better off writing in pencil than pen which has informed their decision

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now