Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Paed not wanting to continue add meds

(7 Posts)
Hello1290 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:49:08

DD has was on medikinet for 3 months but we didn't see any change in her innattention/concentration particularly at school so paed has said the medication isn't working so end of.

He did initially talk about trying an alternative medication when I spoke to him at the beginning of this month but now he's basically said no her problems are most likely due to her ASD diagnosis.

Has anybody else experienced their child benefiting from one medication over another. I feel that DD should be given the chance to try another medication as I feel her problems are mainly linked to attention and concentration at school.

Thanks

Melawati Sat 25-Mar-17 14:51:41

If I understand correctly (having a DD dx with ASD and later with ADHD) if the inattention/concentration problems are due to ASD rather than ADHD, which they can be, then the medication given for ADHD won't help. And trialling ADHD medications to see if they help is one way of eliminating ADHD as a possible dx.

Perhaps that is what the paed is getting at in your DD's case. I can see a difference in my DD even on a relatively low dose of Concerta (same active ingredient as Medikinet). It doesn't totally resolve the difficulties with attention and concentration but it helps.

Hello1290 Sat 25-Mar-17 15:28:56

Thanks - yes Melawati you've explained it exactly how it is.

I totally agree with Paeds way of thinking but I think it's got to be worth trying a different medication as we've started down that road. I've read on these boards that sometimes a DC has tried one med that doesn't work but an alternative has been successful. The other med the Dr previously discussed is not part of the Medikinet family as such so would have different ingredients.

I didn't like how the medikinet made her subdued and school noticed the same and said no there was no difference in her concentration so Dr said to take her off it.

It's fair enough if an alternative isn't effective we can close the door on meds but it just seems strange to just trial one type like I mentioned I've heard of others trying several.

Think I need to discuss again with Dr.

dietcokeandwine Sun 26-Mar-17 14:10:25

My 12yo has an ASD and ADD (attention deficit but no hyperactivity) DX.

He was DX with the ADD at 10 and started on medikinet which didn't work at all. No improvement in attention and concentration but couldn't sleep or eat properly and was very tearful and aggressive (which he isn't normally). Paed switched his medication to strattera (atomoxetine) which is basically a non-stimulant ADHD medication taken daily, and is constant slow release over a 24 hour period. Differs from medikinet which releases the hit of the drug over a specific period of time and 'wears off' after a number of hours.

Much much better. DS has been on this for 2 years now and whilst the improvements were slow to take effect, now (Y8) he does really well.

Might be worth asking for a trial of atomoxetine OP?

Hello1290 Sun 26-Mar-17 18:34:48

Thanks diet. Paed was talking about Elvanse which I think is another stimulant. I was hoping if there was no success with that then he might suggest atomoxetine and then we would have exhausted all options but it doesn't seem he is willing to go any further with meds but I will discuss with him again .

Can I ask if school work improved and does your son need support in lessons ?

I'm feeling stressed as DD is due to start secondary in September.

dietcokeandwine Wed 29-Mar-17 15:26:30

Sorry for delay in responding, Hello.

We noticed a slow cumulative improvement, over a number of months, rather than an immediate impact of taking the meds. However, two years on, his ability to concentrate and focus at school is hugely improved, this is probably partly due to greater maturity as well.

He has no formal support in the classroom and manages well without it (now y8) -subject teachers are aware of his DX, and supportive where he needs it, but overall he's doing really well.

What he did require a LOT of during Y7 was support at home to get organised with books and paperwork, and to focus on homework - I micro managed him quite a lot. There's such a jump from primary to secondary in terms of general organisation and amount of homework given, and it took quite a bit of input to keep him on an even keel. It's been much better this year, that early micro management paid off and he is much more independent now.

I dreaded him starting secondary but actually it's been a more positive experience than primary was - so far, anyway.

Good luck.

Hello1290 Wed 29-Mar-17 19:56:56

Thanks Diet

It's great to hear that your son is doing so well. I'm hoping secondary will work for DD. The one she's going to seems to have a lot of experience with additional needs which is a big positive.

I'm expecting to have to give her a lot of support with organizing and remembering things. I'm going to buy lots of different coloured folders and labels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now