Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hmmm - ASD/OCD rituals? What rituals or routines do your children have

(8 Posts)
Blossom4538 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:06:14

Hi all,
I'm a little confused about rituals. I guess dd has a few rituals or habits but not too sure.

Have your children got any? What kind of things are classed as a ritual.

I guess dd has some impulsive behaviour too.

zzzzz Fri 24-Mar-17 12:05:24

I think something like having to put your clothes on in a particular order or touch the door frame as you pass.

Twinkletowedelephant Fri 24-Mar-17 12:09:01

Ds has to run up the bank and round the drain everyday on the way into school... He just can't help himself and he needs to do it, i made him walk past it once and he refused to go into school and was on the verge of a meltdown so we went back he did it (takes 10seconds) all was well..

Ds likes to have his Lego/skylanders/zomblings lined up in a very specific order...Woo betide anyone who messes with his system.

Blossom4538 Fri 24-Mar-17 12:39:45

Picking up stones of ground on way into school?
Setting up dens by moving dining chairs around and using blankets.
Washing stones or toys?
Urgency to do things when she gets home from school.
At a shop, she has to go and feel all the fluffy rugs.

StillMedusa Fri 24-Mar-17 21:12:03

Same routine every day; has to eat, wash dress in a particular order. Has to open and shut the kitchen bin 5 times if he uses it (the noise drives me nuts!)
Has to buy every new dvd that he has seen at the cinema but will never open it or watch it again... lined up on his shelves in pristine order!
Lots of other things too but we are just used to it!

imip Sat 25-Mar-17 06:00:32

Hi blossom

Dd8 is not diagnosed with OCD as cahms believe she hasn't the level of cognition to explain why she does what she does, however, I can't see this being very far off.

She'd have the hoarding type of OCD. She hoards at school, home (trying to keep it confined to her room), the car, the garden. She seems to sleep with every new thing (things in party David bags, for instance),

Before Christmas, dd started pulling out her eyelashes - I never realised how closely related this was to OCD.

The hoarding really gets me down. It's proper filth. I've started to really emphasis it to cahms as this has a massive impact on her life, can she is constantly worries about people taking her 'stuff' .

Blossom4538 Sat 25-Mar-17 09:10:17

My DD (almost 6), at this stage, has mild signs of hoarding and worries about people taking her things. She will pick things up that she finds at school, usually off the ground and come home with her pockets full! Not all the time, but whenever she can.

LOVES stones - little Macca Pacca!

imip Sun 26-Mar-17 21:39:12

Dd has her stone collection in her car seat and she is not bothered by sitting on them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now