Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anxiety with toddler

(3 Posts)
MommyMinter Mon 20-Mar-17 14:27:13

Hello ladies.
I'm looking for any advice on how to address my little boys Anxiety.
He will be 2 next month (April 2017) and it's becoming more and more evident that he has anxiety issues. He becomes hysterical when we change environment or we arrive somewhere busy ,ie - supermarket,playgroup or kids party.
I don't no how to calm him or make the transition any easier for him.
We have previously seen GP regarding possibly being on the autistic spectrum but doctor was completely un-empathetic and frankly quite rude,so I haven't gone back. But the issues regarding social anxiety has gotten alot worse.
He loves routine and struggles to settle in any environment other than he's own...
I don't want the label of "autistic" or "special needs" for my child I just would really love any helpful suggestions from mummies who can relate.

Msqueen33 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:59:41

My dd is four and has asd and has horrific anxiety. Social and task performance. Visuals work well for her and her transitioning. She likes to know what is coming next. Routine and repetition also work for her. She has to do something numerous times to feel comfortable.

Hurricane74 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:34:19

Not sure how helpful this is, but my DS has a lot of social anxiety (suspected ASD) and I have found supermarkets a major problem. We have had some progress by having short trips to the supermarket a couple of times a week, and giving him a pick of smarties to take around with him (or buying a pack in there) so he has a more positive association with the shop. Have sort of given up on playgroup's for now but have tried soft play as an alternative which he loves. I think keep trying if you can and even if you just get to the entrance way or stay for a couple of minutes there first few times perhaps you can slowly increase your stay over time. Would agree a visual for helping transitions could be helpful. Don't give up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now