Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD Diagnostic tests for a preschooler?

(4 Posts)
Windybobbin Mon 20-Mar-17 11:15:25

If I chase a diagnosis of ASD for my 3 year old DD what sort of tests and observations would she have to endure? Would she have to stay in hospital or anything? I'm really concerned about her feeling worse than ever.

BackforGood Mon 20-Mar-17 11:27:58

No she won't stay in hospital.
Assessments are different in different parts of the country. In my area, the children play in a Nursery set up, and a multi-disciplinary team play with them / observe them / talk to them / look for responses / listen to any language or observe other communication / observe social interaction / observe play. They also talk to parents and talk to Nursery staff.

WellTidy Mon 20-Mar-17 14:49:34

In my area, the diagnosis has two stages.

The first is a long chat between community paediatrician and the parents, where the paed basically goes through a massive questionnaire. It took about an hour, maybe more. The second part with the ADOS test, which is where two speech and language therapists observed the way DS played with toys, followed instructions, engaged in imaginary play under instruction, used communication etc. DH and I were present at this too, it took maybe 45 minutes.

The paed also asked pre-school for their observations of DS.

Then we were called back by the paed about a month later and given his conclusion which was a diagnosis of ASD.

DS was 3.6 at the time and we did not have to leave him for a second. The tests were not in any way invasive.

Windybobbin Mon 20-Mar-17 15:05:21

Thank you both so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now