Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Residential college and DLA/ESA

(5 Posts)
LucyS2017 Wed 15-Mar-17 21:11:26

My DD may be going to residential college starting in September. I have heard that her DLA will stop whilst she's there but I can claim it intermittently when she isn't. Is that just the care component? Does anyone know about the motability component? We have a motability car so I want to know if I would lose that.

Also do you know if ESA continues to be paid?

Thank you!

ZackyVengeance Wed 15-Mar-17 21:26:45

It is only the care part,you claim that during the holidays, same with carers.. which is very slow
Esa they keep getting, but they have to make a contribution from it, standard is they get to keep 24.50 a week
You need them to do a financial assessment first,
Beware though, i didnt know about the contribution part
They did the assessment in her second year and bill me a massive amount in arrears. Didnt have to pay in the end, i then got college to help me and got the 24.50 increased.
Pm me if you need any help

ZackyVengeance Wed 15-Mar-17 21:27:37

Missed out you keep the motorbilitybit

LucyS2017 Thu 16-Mar-17 08:02:22

Thank you so much. God that's a relief!

About the assessment - is that the assessment that the local authority do when someone is 18 under the 'fairer payments' scheme or is it another? We've had the fairer payments assessment already - that was a nasty shock so really hope there isn't a second one.....

I'm new to mumsnet and don't know how to pm anyone. Please can you tell me?

ZackyVengeance Thu 16-Mar-17 23:17:03

my dd had an assessment at 18, they just looked at the bank statement that her DLA was paid into,
the next one they rechecked that and her ESA. it was fine as she only has a bit of savings, they only looked at her money not ours, as she is an adult.
it was all very easy.
our council is crap at collecting her contribution though, havnt had a bill since september. even with the social worker chasing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now