Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

No response from school SEN coordinator

(8 Posts)
HelgaHufflepuff76 Tue 14-Mar-17 11:11:38

I made a post a few weeks ago regarding Dd who I strongly suspect has Aspergers.

I followed the advice I was given and contacted our GP who called us back for a phone appointment. She asked us to make another appointment with her, but to first get a report from our Dd's school with their observations.
I found out who the SEN coordinator was and sent them an email, copying in Dd's form tutor, briefly going over our concerns and asking if they could send us a report.

When a week later we still had no reply, I phoned the school to ask to speak to the SEN lady I had sent the email to. The receptionist said the lady was busy but she would get someone else to phone me. The form tutor called me back and seemed surprised that the SEN coordinator hadn't responded yet. He said he would contact her himself and ask about the report.

It's now two weeks since I sent the original email request and I've had no response. Does anyone know if this is normal? I know they must be very busy, but still.

Should I wait or contact the school again? Or should I just make the appointment with the GP and explain that the school has not been forthcoming?

coffeemachine Tue 14-Mar-17 11:44:35

I would go back to GP. Make a list of all concerns and insist in referral. I find that Camhs tend to contact school later down the line themselves rather than GP insisting on school report.

HelgaHufflepuff76 Tue 14-Mar-17 14:43:44

It's just that the doctor specifically asked for this to bring to our next appointment.
I don't like nagging at the school, but I'm worried they'll forget or something.

If they don't respond next time I suppose I'll have to take your advice and just make the doctors appointment anyway.

Thanks

blankmind Tue 14-Mar-17 16:23:08

I'd chase the Senco again, very politely and re-state that on [date] you wrote and said that your GP has requested a report from Dd's school with their observations.

As it's now [date] and you've heard nothing, could Senco please let you know if the report has already been sent directly to your GP, or whether it's still outstanding.

Wait for their reply, if they've still not bothered, then ask for the report to be given to you by [date] so you can take it to your next GP appointment [insert date]

HelgaHufflepuff76 Tue 14-Mar-17 18:22:09

I'll do that. Thanks for the advice.

Sausagepickle123 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:22:35

Our school senco generally takes weeks to respond to emails. It is not that she is unhelpful, she's just overworked. I find phoning or catching her in the playground is most effective!

Megatherium Wed 15-Mar-17 01:31:32

Is it worth asking the form tutor to provide the report? The SENCo will presumably have to go to her for the information anyway.

HelgaHufflepuff76 Wed 15-Mar-17 08:18:15

Yes I know they must be very busy, which is why I don't want to keep badgering them.

If I don't get a reply this week I could ask the form tutor I guess.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now