Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

10 month old not reaching for things??? Please help??

(6 Posts)
Emmalou1990 Sat 11-Mar-17 11:42:07

I'm really concerned about my daughter. She's 10 months next week and still cannot reach for objects. She opens and closes hands and 'scratches' things and occasionally will grasp things when they are in her palm but doesn't fetch them to her mouth. If I put a finger food in her hand she opens her palm and does a ferris face and blinks like she doesn't like the feel. She also gets startled very easy and blinks a lot at loud noises that aren't that loud they just come out of nowhere. She used to know how to get her palm on an object if it was touching her hand/arm, say if an object was on top of her hand she would move her hand so it was in her palm, she would sometimes grasp and attempt to pick up and fetch to mouth but now she has stopped doing that all together. She has her thumb in her fist sometimes too but her hands are not always fisted. She was delayed in head control as she hated tummy time and when she cried she would gag easily so we never forced her. She started sitting assisted at around 7 months and began sitting unassisted a few weeks ago but is still unsteady as she doesn't always save her self from falling with her hands. We are being referred and the HV was also concerned about her head size, she's 98th percentile and body 55th. We seen the GP and he too has sent a referral as he agreed with concerns regarding craniosynostosis(premature fusion of suture in skull) her soft spot has already gone, she had long narrow head at birth and now protruding forehead and a ridge on suture on forehead but he said it could also be fluid on her brain. I'm really concerned and no one is saying what they really think it is. Everything I search suggest cerebral palsy but not came accross anyone who didn't reach for objects at almost 10 months. She's very happy and very social but I can't help but worry. I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any experience with any of these things?

zzzzz Sat 11-Mar-17 13:27:57

when are they seeing her for her skull? I think it's important given the significant delay she is seen soon. Did anyone mention surgery?

Emmalou1990 Sat 11-Mar-17 21:37:45

No I'm based in the UK, so the process here is see the GP, he refers to a paediatrician and then he will refer to neurologist then wait for scans and then refer to wherever is needed. We just got her appointment today but it's not for another 9 weeks to see the paediatrician which I think is quite long. Our GP(general practitioner) said he didn't know much about either but said they could be rectified and I've looked up surgery but don't know if I can wait 9 weeks just for her just to see a paed and then he refers elsewhere which will be even longer, seems dangerous to leave her which looks like it could be a few months before we are even looking at surgery. I've done research on them all so I know that it's coming. Just wish it would be sooner so we can have the answers

zzzzz Sat 11-Mar-17 22:34:11

Ds only had a teeny soft spot that disappeared very quickly. He also had a ridge. I didn't know it was significant so nothing was done. He hit physical milestones but Language was delayed. I believe he should have been scanned and treated.

Limited hand control at 10 months is a significant delay. Losing skills is significant too. I think I'd phone the paediatricians secretary (ask switchboard at hospital to put you through to Dr XXXXs secretary). Explain that dd is losing skills and you are becoming increasingly concerned and 2 months seems too long to wait. Ask if you can be squeezed in or take a cancellation.

I'm uk based too.

brew

Emmalou1990 Sat 11-Mar-17 22:54:36

Thanks, I will definitely be phoning the hospital to see if we can be squeezed in sooner, my letter doesn't say which doctor but will try the paediatrics department. if not I might try another GP trip to see if it can be rushed. Was your son diagnosed with craniosynostosis or is everything ok now?

zzzzz Sat 11-Mar-17 23:06:17

To be honest I don't know confused. He's 11 now so it's a long while ago now. He had a hernia which we were worried about and the lack of soft spot was noted but never investigated iykwim. He had a very heavy large skull and a ridge on his forehead that now isn't noticeable. Ds has a severe language disorder and ASD (autism) but is very happy and healthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now