Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does anyone recognise this grumpy behaviour

(4 Posts)
Victoria2002 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:53:10

DS 4.5yrs can be very grumpy and I really feel I can't understand it or find a way to cheer him up.

He's always had a kinda negative disposition, learned to say "no" months & months before he said ever said "yes" and used to bite any toddlers who encroached in his space.
Sometimes he wakes up in, or somehow gets into a bad mood and seems to get stuck like that all day. I tried obvious things like taking about his feelings, distracting him, trying to cheer him up, suggesting he goes to his bed/bedroom "for some peace" until he's able to be more kind...I try to be accepting of his feelings but when he's rude and grumpy to everything I say and mean to his little brother I find his behaviour unacceptable.
If he's sad/disappointed he strongly denies he's sad and gets really cross and starts thumping me and shouting.
I feel like understanding this better is slipping through my fingers & wonder if there's a diagnosis or something in his diet or sleep pattern or something that causes this. I also just can't find the right way to deal with it.

Imaginosity Mon 06-Mar-17 22:55:17

Maybe something like this might help when he's a little older - cognitive behavioural therapy to readjust the when he thinks.
www.bookdepository.com/What-Do-When-You-Grumble-Too-Much-Dawn-Huebner/9781591474500

My DS can be a bit like this at times but he also has lots of moments where he is happy?

What makes your DS happy? What does he enjoy doing?

Does he do much exercise?

Has he been assessed for anything?

zzzzz Tue 07-Mar-17 10:40:07

Vitamin D deficiency?

Victoria2002 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:29:01

Thanks for the replies, zzzzz we just had 6 weeks in the sun so I hope it's not vitamin D deficiency! I know supplements help and sunshine is not enough and he does have a daily multi-vit and a good diet
Imaginosity, thank you I will look at the link. Yes he has lots of happy moments. He's not been assessed for anything and has lots of excersise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now