Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can I encourage DD to try new things

(4 Posts)
reapercrew Sun 05-Mar-17 20:29:16

Looking for some suggestions on how to get DD to try new things.
She's coming up to 4 & currently waiting for dx, she has a mix of symptoms from ASD, SPD or SCD.

She'll happily go to different places & try things when we're out & about but at home I just feel we're stuck in such a rut.

Things like books, board games, TV shows, films, baking etc, we play, watch & make the same things all the time. She is totally resistant to trying anything new. We have loads of books but she'll chose to read the same couple over & over, if I get another out & try to read it with her she'll just wander off. I'd love to watch some of the Disney movies or trolls etc with her but as soon as they start she'll get upset & ask me to turn them off, she would happily watch postman pat the movie & despicable me on a loop, same with TV programmes help me get away from peppa pig!!

We do do lots of playing outside, painting, playdoh & messy play etc but days when she goes to preschool she likes to 'veg out' more when she gets back which is fine with me but I'd like her to have a bit more variety of viewing, reading & game choices

PolterGoose Sun 05-Mar-17 20:34:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frogandbear Sun 05-Mar-17 20:46:33

My DS is 3 also and on pre-school days I make sure that when we come home the afternoons are entirely his to do what he wants/needs to do to wind down. He will sit with his puzzles/books/games/ipad /whatever and that is what makes him relaxed and happy. I feel that this is important to him and will continue to do this when he goes to school. smile

zzzzz Mon 06-Mar-17 10:05:57

When ds was small I used to play new films a few times so we could only just hear the sound track as background music while we did other things and then watch them.

I know you are going bananas but honestly the repetitive watching, reading, and reciting are good things and she will move on (though sometimes in times of stress revisit). I think ds's language and reading etc were saved by that stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now