Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

8yr old ? Aspergers

(13 Posts)
Tinkerbell36 Sun 05-Mar-17 11:32:15

My son is 8yrs old - I'm wondering if he has mild Aspergers? He stims regularly - hands, face and jumping. He has difficulty with his grip - holding a pencil, cutlery, etc. However he's not bad socially although can get in people's faces not know when to stop. He is also obsessed with one topic - knows an excessive amount of facts, figures, etc. He also has extreme emotional outbursts to minor things on occasion. He's great at maths, reads well but writing poor. He has just been referred by his school to educational psychologists/ speech expert for poor focus and speech. Any views from those with experience? Xxx

PolterGoose Sun 05-Mar-17 11:48:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dannygirl Mon 06-Mar-17 20:40:36

He sounds just like my 9 year old DS! He has diagnosed dyspraxia and on the waiting list for autism assessment. Might be worth looking up dyspraxia if you're not familiar with it as the motor / grip difficulties really ring a bell. I agree with PP it's worth discussing with your GP and trying to get a Paediatrician referral or similar

Waitingforsleep Mon 06-Mar-17 22:37:43

Why can't you have mild Aspergers? Just wondering?

PolterGoose Tue 07-Mar-17 06:58:48

PolterGoose Tue 07-Mar-17 06:59:38

Occadodo Tue 07-Mar-17 08:36:23

Polter the op might not be using the correct terminology but you understand what she is trying to convey!!!

Autism and Aspergers are spectrum disorders so yes it is possible to be anywhere on that spectrum. I have a DS with Severe ASD and a DS with High functioning ASD.
Please see GP for referral to paediatrician.

PolterGoose Tue 07-Mar-17 09:22:09

Waitingforsleep Tue 07-Mar-17 15:04:52

Polter- the reason I asked is because for my Dd camhs keep banging on about 'criteria' now I know Dd does not fit their crieria however whatever it is with her (which I feel may be traits of asd) give her significant trouble and as such she surely should get help and even a label to help her. Unsure if same for op?
I don't understand it all as I thought you are either on the spectrum or not. Then of course it's how asd affects that individual. As I said to camhs if for example score 50= asd how can score 49 = nt. Just so complicated!

Tinkerbell36 Tue 07-Mar-17 20:10:47

Thankyou everyone for responding - I'm very new to all of this so may well be using the wrong terminology so sorry for that!
Danny girl - thankyou I've looked dyspraxia up and lots sounds familiar.
I'm meeting the school SENCO later this week. It's all so confusing as he shows bits of various difference conditions - I guess it's why I need to see a professional. I went to a school talk with him tonight and he just can't focus/concentrate. He is such a happy and loving little boy and I just want to know how to best support him.

Waitingforsleep Tue 07-Mar-17 21:50:32

Don't worry about terminology - what I find confusing is the fact that o can't trust professionals as there are so many politics in the background as to why diagnosis are or are not made. I used to trust doctors and schools etc but now wow my eyes have been opened. Hope you get answers and trust your gut and keep posting

Goldmandra Wed 08-Mar-17 21:21:39

There's a lot of crossover between ASD, dyspraxia and other conditions and I think some children would get different diagnoses depending on the area they live and the clinician who sees them.

What matters most isn't the diagnosis they are given but whether their needs are clearly and correctly identified. It's those needs that lead the provision in school and how people understand them. Get that right and you can make their lives a lot easier.

Dannygirl Wed 08-Mar-17 21:47:38

I totally agree with Gold but it's so frustrating (if you a pro-diagnosis which I appreciate not everyone is!) because actually the different diagnoses do lead you down different paths in terms of reading, resources, support, experts, techniques etc etc. All the best of luck to you Tinkerbell and your son, and feel free to PM me if I can help on the dyspraxia front x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now