Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sen support in nursery for 1 year old

(4 Posts)
user1471461393 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:33:00

Does anyone know if it is possible to get 1 to 1 support for an under 2?
My son has marked gross motor delay and a hearing impairment. Currently he is at nursery 3 days (whilst I work). They are saying there is no funding to enable them to support his needs until the term after he turns 2. Is this correct?

Ineedmorepatience Wed 01-Mar-17 22:13:36

The SEND code of practice goes from 0-25 so someone somewhere is going to need to find some funding from somewhere!

Try contacting your Early years SEND team at your local authority. There should be an Inclusion advisor for Day nurserys. Be persistent, the SENCO at the nursery should know who this person is.

Good luck flowers

hazeyjane Wed 01-Mar-17 22:18:51

As far as I am aware 1-1 funding is only available to 2 year olds, and then for 15 hours a week (not sure if this will change with the possible 30 hours funding coming in for 3 year olds of working parents)

The people I know who have children with disabilities under 2 in childcare, have either managed in mainstream nursery with the 1:3 ratio or have had nannies.

Sorry not much help.

UserReuser Thu 02-Mar-17 09:47:55

In my area the ratio for babies is seen as enough, my friends very disabled girl was in a normal childminder at that age but went to a special school nursery at two. The private nurseries simply said they couldn't meet her needs (all are at that age) and weren't obliged to have her. Local nurseries also refused my daughter at that age and I had to use nannies. I guess applying for an EHCP may help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now