Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

mandatory reconsideration DLA

(6 Posts)
mrsdarcey78 Wed 01-Mar-17 01:53:48

Hi my youngest child is 9 and we have received dla for her since she was 2. we have had 2 renewals so far. sent back the third one 2 months ago, received the decision last week and was devastated that it had been turned down. she went from hrc and hrm to nothing. I called them up and asked them to look at it again. they rang back and i spent a hour talking it through with them on the phone, they had taken one line from a physio report and based their whole decision on that where 99% of the report agreed with what I had said on the forms. I have also contacted my own MP who is on the case, and the disability speaker in the house of lords who is also helping. I have taken her to a independent GP who has looked at her medical records, her notes, done a written and physical examination and written a detailed support letter for the DLA claim. I have sent that and a letter to the dla this week. I had a letter from them monday to say they are looking at it again, and it could take 11 weeks. is there anything I can do about this? thank you for any help. I am exhausted x

coffeemachine Wed 01-Mar-17 16:52:45

sounds like you have send in a lot. The import thing is that it highlights how much more care your child needs in comparison to a typical child.

Do you also have a statement/EHCP you can send in? I always put that in too. But from HRC and HRM to go to nothing. wow.

I remember there was another poster here recently who had a child in DLA for years and it was taken away at renewal. Have also heard it from friend's in RL. I hope this is not a new trend. We are due to renew shortly for DD with ASD and severe LDs and I start to panic we could lose our DLA as we really depend on it.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 01-Mar-17 19:50:34

Ds has been turned down at renewal. He was getting mrc lrm. Renewal came back with mrc only. I asked for mandatory reconsideration and gave reasons why. That came back ... whole award taken away! I'm now appealing and awaiting my hearing date. We're devastated ... my forms were so detailed, evidence letters etc. They based their decision on 1 phone call to ds school senco, he's only been at the school since September, they rang in November....

Hoping we win appeal. We shouldn't have to fight like this for our children sad

HerrenaHarridan Wed 01-Mar-17 21:11:31

I think it's worth it to them, if even 5% of the population (of recipients) just cave in they will save millions

I believe the attitude is if you really need it you will fight for it 😡

Regardless that people that need it the most have precious little time to spend wrangling with them.

Are you involved with a charity that can support you?
The spina bifida association will help you fill in your forms and chase up appeals, accumulate evidence and get it sent in.
Is there a relevant charity you could turn to?

mrsdarcey78 Thu 02-Mar-17 14:37:39

I took my daughter to a independent GP, he has written a detailed medical report on her, and said he totally supports the application for DLA and that we deserve it for her complex medical and mobility needs. she uses a wheelchair, and is totally incontinent bowel and bladder is nearly 10 in nappies and does not attend school, she is home schooled. she is unable to clean herself, and her bed needs changing due to accidents, she can't mobilise more then a few steps. sent in the MR and GP report a week ago, its a waiting game again now xxx

Cph21 Mon 26-Jun-17 18:34:25

Hi not sure if this is the right place to post new to this. In a nut shell my daughter was diagnosed as blind at 4 month earlier old and registered legally applied for DLA as advised by her consultant. Been told today after months of waiting that she doesn't qualify. Heartbroken isn't the word! Have sent a mandatory reconsideration by special delivery today can anyone advise if they have been through the same thing? Any ideas if I will win or if this is going to be a battle. SO very unfair to family's who have enough to deal with. Thanks in advance for any help xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now