Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Grief

(3 Posts)
wendytorrence Tue 28-Feb-17 12:41:11

My beautiful Grandmother passed away over the weekend and my DS is taking it really hard. He is HF ASD.
Can anyone advise on how to help him deal with his emotions.
He understands that she's gone and it was expected but he's just continually saying "I'm sad" and asking when he will stop feeling sad. I've tried my best explaining that it's ok to be sad. I've kept him off school and I'm waiting a call back from his learning mentor from school.
I'm just finding it really hard coping with my own grief and not being able to help him.

Spongesecret008 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:37:31

I am so sorry for you loss. It is a very difficult time for you and your ds. When my ds was finding it difficult to cope with his thoughts about death I spoke to his school about it and they got some advice from the educational psychologist. I was told that I should talk about it with my ds and read him age appropriate books about death. I was told because my ds has HFA it is harder for him that other children to deal with these thoughts.

I cant remember what else I was advised. I will let you know if I remember anything. All I can say is that it will take time for you both to deal with your grief. It took my ds a long time and I thought he would never be happy again but he did get through it and is fine now. I decided to talk to him about heaven and read books about heaven and make it sound happy and that we all meet one day on heaven. It will depend on your own beliefs how you want to approach it with your ds.

I hope the learning mentor from school can give you some advice. Your poor ds having to deal with grief at such a young age.

wendytorrence Tue 28-Feb-17 14:35:32

Thank you.
We don't really have any religious belief as such. But have previously spoke about heaven. I've said that she is with Grandad now (he passed away before DS was born)
And that's it's happy that they are back together.
Still waiting for school to get back to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now